BacTerminator Technology for Dairy - Food and Beverage - Food
BacTerminator is a new cleantech technology for water disinfection that does not use chemicals, and which can be used in all places where water is used in a dairy.
Improvement of the water disinfection in municipal tap/well water used in production:
- Buffer tanks with fresh water
- Water addition in cheese production
Improvement/treatment of used process water for reuse in the dairy that needs to be disinfected:
- Cheese cooling water
- Cheese brine
- Cheese whey RO permeate – 3 month field test at Arla dairy
- Cheese whey RO permeate – in daily operation
- RO/UF permeate from egg white
- Milk powder & evaporation
- CIP cleaning – final rinse
- Ice water storage
- Pump seal water
Buffer tanks with fresh water that needs continual disinfection.
Public/municipal tap water or water from own well: water is often stored in 20-100 m³ buffer tanks resulting in growth of microorganisms. Some bacteria have a reproduction time of an hour (depending on species, temperature and growth media), so even a small number can multiply to millions in a short time.
Increased awareness of the microbiological quality of cheese brine; special focus on yeast and mould in connection with cheeses without rind, which are more susceptible to unwanted microorganisms. Yeast in particular may give an “off-taste” in the finished cheese.
With BacTerminator® to disinfect/recirculate the brine together with a filtering solution, we offer you:
- A crystal clear brine
- A brine with a guarantee of no bacteriophages
- A brine with a guarantee of < 10 CFU/100 ml of mould
- A brine with a guarantee of < 10 CFU/100 ml of yeast
- A brine with guarantee of < 10 CFU/100 ml of E. coli
- A brine with guarantee of < 10 CFU/100 ml of coliform bacteria
- A brine with guarantee of < 10 CFU/ml of Total Viable Count bacteria at 220C and 370
At the process stage, “water addition” in the cheese vat, where 10-15% fresh water (public/municipal, own well, tap water) is added. Cottage cheese produced in Denmark is made with water that has been disinfected in the BacTerminator® system, regardless of the water being municipal tap or well water.
This has increased the shelf life and improved product quality; no growth in microorganisms towards the end of the 21 day shelf life.
- Savings on the previous pasteurisation of water ( ~ 30 euro cents/m3)
- Savings on water usage because water can be reused for 1-4 days before releasing to drain
High pasteurisation 98-99%
Low pasteurisation 97-98%