Coconut husk is the outer layer of the coconut fruit, consisting of long fibers and sponge-like pith particles. In nature, the husk protects the inner germinating seed by resisting excess saturation and salt. The husk, which naturally helps the coconut stay in oat in water, also stays uniformly moist and does not rot.
Husk chips (coco chips /Coco blocks) are used as a potting medium, due to their superior properties and longer life span than bark. In combination with Coconut Husk Chips are used in the horticultural sector to provide optimal drainage and aeration. Added to potting soil, replacing regular bark, Husk Chips also significantly reduce the incidence of Sudden Oak Death (SOD) disease.
Coconut Husk Chips work great in all types of potting mixes or stand alone. They will hold water and release it evenly as the mix dries out, similar to a sponge.
Benefits of using CG Coco chips/Husk chips
- Lasts longer than bark with no degradation (5 plus years)
- Very clean, uniform and no wastage
- Wet coconut husk chips hold water and air like a sponge
- Excellent drainage, high cation exchange capacity (CEC)
- Cuts down fertilizer application up to 30%
- Prevents stress after repotting
- Neutral pH and innate buffering capacity
- Resists fungal growth
- 100% natural and renewable resource
- Increased potassium levels
- Improved phosphorus levels
- Increased cation exchange capacity
- Improved nutrient retention
- Reduced frequency and rates of fertiliser application
Eco-friendly alternatives for planting, coir products are considered Environmentally Friendly.
More information on Husk chips, visit www.coirgreen.com