AIARD is an association of U.S.- and internationally-based members who have devoted their careers to global agricultural development and hunger alleviation. AIARD members are development professionals from universities, non-governmental organizations, private sector firms, consulting companies, government and donor agencies, and foundations. The association represents the extensive disciplinary base of agricultural and related social science skills necessary to carry out global agricultural development and hunger alleviation programs.
AIARD mobilizes support for international agriculture and rural development programs by:
- Increasing awareness of the instrumental role of agriculture in global development
- Informing policy makers, donors and institutions about effective strategies to advance agriculture and rural development in the global economy
- Improving relationships between agriculture and rural development efforts to promote a sustainable global society (e.g., natural resources, health and nutrition, child survival, HIV/AIDS, gender, democratization)
- Promoting interaction and cooperation among organizations engaged in international development
Since 1964, AIARD continues to represent a cadre of professionals in both the United States and overseas, most of whom have had extensive front-line experience in various developing countries. AIARD is dedicated to helping prepare others to focus their skills to develop agriculture and the rural sector for mutual benefit of the United States and developing countries.
- AIARD's membership is unique in its breadth and depth. It includes development professionals from a vast community of universities, private voluntary organizations, commercial firms, governmental and donor agencies, and foundations in the United States and overseas.
- AIARD represents a broad disciplinary base of agricultural and related social science skills which are necessary to provide solutions to today's and tomorrow's challenges.
- AIARD is chartered and structured to speak to broad professional concerns in a manner which transcends institutional perspectives.
- AIARD is well positioned to inform and influence international, national, state, and local-level leaders and institutions to generate interest and better promote broader U.S. support for international agriculture and rural development programs of mutual benefit.
- AIARD is eminently qualified to suggest, design, and implement relevant strategies and programs to help advise institutions in the United States and developing countries to create more economically viable and competitiveagriculture and rural sectors.
- AIARD has initiated a new series of activities to enhance its capacity in public advocacy, membership, funding, information and communications, and strategic alliances with similar organizations, all of which are intended to develop broader United States government and donor support for international agriculture and rural development programs.
AIARD's mission is to improve the quality of life for all people by improving and developing global capacities to respond to new challenges and opportunities in helping to eliminate poverty, improve food security, and conserve and protect the environment, in order to stimulate broad-based economic growth and sustainable development.
In carrying out its mission, AIARD serves to:
- Promote and foster greater interaction and cooperation among all organizations engaged in international development.
- Improve education in, and foster greater understanding of, international development.
- Expand members' abilities to implement development programs.
- Shape international development strategies.
Consistent with its mission and responsive to heightened global challenges and opportunities, AIARD seeks to mobilize the collective capacities of members and like professionals for three purposes related to the resources committed to international agriculture and rural development:
- Increase the institutional commitments and capacities of donor agencies and national level programs;
- Expand resources available for such activities; and
- Improve program effectiveness.
AIARD's leadership and members employ a four-fold approach to accomplish its mission. The Association considers its charge to:
- Inform members and U.S. and international collaborators and development institutions about appropriate strategies and institutional approaches to improve agriculture and increase rural development within a rapidly changing global environment.
- Stimulate improved understanding and support for international development and the essential role which agriculture and rural development have in fostering greater global well-being.
- Explore and advance the synergistic relationships between agriculture and rural development and economic development; management of the environment, agricultural development and poverty; and poverty, nutrition and hunger as key themes for promoting a more sustainable global society.
- Promote greater interaction and cooperation among all organizations engaged in international development, emphasizing the primacy of agriculture and rural development.