Darwin Plants has been founded in 1865 in the heart of the Dutch bulb district, under the name Witteman & Co. Over the 147 years on, it remains a family runned business with the benefit of accumulated knowledge, experience and contacts built up over 4 generations. Ball Horticultural Company is an internationally renowned breeder, producer and wholesale distributor of ornamental plants. A family-owned business since it was founded in 1905, Ball has introduced many innovative, award-winning varieties to the world of horticulture, including the Wave petunia family; Dazzler and Super Elfin impatiens; and Fiesta™ double impatiens. The company offers Simply Beautiful and Circle of Life programs exclusively for independent garden centers. Ball has worldwide production, sales and marketing through its many subsidiaries on six continents.
The company was originally formed as growers of flower bulbs, and started exporting these in 1930. Herbaceous perennials were added to the range in 1980, when the name Darwin Plants was introduced as a branding for these.
In 2001, Darwin Plants became the official trade name for Witteman & Co., in line with a new branding program designed to make the company more easily recognizable.
In november 2007 Ball Horticultural Company has acquired Dutch perennials company Darwin Plants.
'One of our goals is for Ball to be known as a perennial company,' says Anna Ball, President & CEO of Ball Horticultural Company. 'Adding Darwin Plants to our offering means our customers benefit from specialized expertise and even more innovative products. The company will continue to operate under the name Darwin Plants with its existing management and staff.'
Today, Darwin Plants is Holland’s largest exporter of bare root perennial plants, with a firm foothold in North America, Europe and The Far East.
When you become a Darwin Plants customer you reap the benefit of our 147 years experience in the business. This means that we know how to store, package and transport plants to arrive at your company in optimum conditions. We are constantly updating our facilities in line with the latest technologies available to us.
What can we do for you?
- Supply over 1200 varieties of herbaceous perennials from a catalogue selection.
- Source and supply varieties not listed in our catalogue by special request.
- Supply pot tags and display signs for plants listed in our catalogue.
- Arrange access to a huge photo library if you wish to make your own promotional items.
- Web-Site with latest information.
We maintain a large show garden on our premises in Holland, which you are invited to visit.
- More than 1200 varieties listed in our catalogue.
- New introductions, best sellers and everything in-between.
- Photographs, descriptions and information.
- Point of sale items available for all catalogue varieties.
- Free guide to growing from bare root for all customers.