We are proud of the nursery and our plants which are all grown using environmentally friendly techniques. All of our plant varieties are carefully selected to ensure they are the best available and are grown by a skilled team of staff. They put their knowledge and experience into producing every plant - this ensures that our quality will always delight.
- Business Type:
- Industry Type:
- Agriculture - Horticulture
- Market Focus:
- Nationally (across the country)
The Garden Beauty range has been carefully selected to create a collection of new, rare and unusual plants as well as some old favourites.
We have chosen varieties that will sell well in garden centres and perform well in gardens, many of the varieties we grow hold the RHS Award of Garden Merit (AGM) or are new varieties from ProVaR plants (link opens in a new window).
We continually test new varieties and carry out our own selection work to introduce new varieties, ensuring that our customers get the best range available.
Our plants are delivered with our own bespoke lock in labels to enhance their presentation and provide easy information for gardeners. We also grow a wide range of specimen plants for those wanting an instant effect.
In 2013 Lowaters Nursery will celebrate 50 Years since the first plant was grown here!!
Lowaters Nursery is the home of Garden Beauty® a wholesale Nursery. The site comprises largely glasshouses with capillary irrigation and frost protection, these facilities coupled with our unique microclimate on the south coast in the lee of the Isle of Wight enables us to grow a very special range of plants to a high quality.
Our aim is to offer a unique collection of plants which will perform well in gardens and excite gardeners. We have selected many new varieties of Hebe on the nursery and continue to develop our own new plants, both to excite our customers and ourselves. The whole team is passionate about plants and we enjoy watching something new grow and develop.
A brief History of Lowaters
- 1963 established by Peter Lowater growing strawberries with 7.5 acres of land
- 1969 a further 5 acres of land was purchased and the nursery changed from strawberry to tomato production
- 1970 added Rhubarb production
- 1973 installed the first NFT Tomato system in the UK in
- 1983 the nursery started to grow ornamental garden plants developing a niche for Hebe's, Southern Hemisphere, new and unusual plants which continues today.
- 1991 tomato production ceased and whole nursery producing Ornamental Garden Plants
- 1995 purchased Richmond site a further 4 acres of land
- 1996 gained Investors in People (we are no longer registered but continue to work within the frameworks set down)
- 1999 changed form partnership to limited company
- 2004 Garden Beauty brand launched to Garden Centres
- 2005Lowaters achieved BOPP certification (we no longer have registration but maintain many of the principles in our activities and records)
- 2008 Lowaters achieved registration to ISO 14001
- 2010 rainwater harvesting unit implemented and on August 1st ceased to use mains water for irrigation
- 2011 Photovolteic cells installed to generate electricity
- 2012 Whole team achieved NVQ business improved techniques
- 2012 Winners of the Environment Agency 'Water Efficiency Award'
- 2013 Awarded 'Nursery Stock Grower of the Year'