J.P. Scherrman, Inc.
Founded in 1919 by Joseph Scherrman and Charlie Kay, the company originally provided the area with a small repair shop. In the 1920s and 1930s the business started a hardware store and sold small engines. The engines were used to power 32 volt generators for local farms. In the 1940s, the company became an International Harvester equipment dealer. Also, after The Rural Electrification Administration provided electricity to rural America, the company connected area farms to electricity and wired their homes. In 1945 Joseph's brother, John P. Scherrman, purchased the business and incorporated the company. During the following years the company sold various products and services; appliances, televisions, hardware, farm implements, wrecker service, heating, plumbing, even gasoline sales was a part of the business.