Eby’s legacy was born in 1938 when Menno H. Eby purchased a small woodworking and chair shop in Blue Ball, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and began manufacturing wood livestock truck bodies – a market niche where quality craftsmanship and the ability to provide custom features were important to the local customers he served. Menno’s innovative spirit had him experimenting with other materials, which lead to the introduction of aluminum truck bodies. It would later be realized that Menno was one of the earliest adopters of this material for use in truck bodies.
Menno Eby Jr. joined the family business in 1972 after returning home from serving his country in the Vietnam War. Eby Sr. quickly instilled in his son the innovative spirit and customization focus. By this time, Eby’s product line expanded to also include trailers and semi-trailers. Eby Sr. retired within a year of his son taking over the company. During the 70s, Menno Jr. pioneered the switch of the Eby product line to entirely aluminum. The early use of this corrosion-resistant material and the company’s innovative designs have allowed Eby to set new standards in aluminum trailers and truck bodies. In 1984, the company moved from its original location to a new, much larger and more modern manufacturing facility.
Over the years, manufacturing plants and regional offices were added across the United States, with Eby Trailers becoming an industry-leading and highly-respected brand. Eby trailers and truck bodies can be found on farms, at commercial operations, and traveling rural roads and highways throughout North America. Eby equipment is even exported internationally. Today, Eby remains family-owned and operated. With the continued guidance of Menno Jr., leadership was transferred in 2011 to 3rd generation Travis and Nick Eby.