Nitrogénmuvek Zrt. [Nitrogen Works Co. Ltd.] celebrates 80 years of existence this year. This pioneering enterprise of Hungarian heavy industry was established one generation ago at Pétfürdo. The company – as it is presently called: Nitrogénmuvek Zrt. – is today a determining factor and strategic role player of the national economy. A modern chemical plant was built on the basis of the lignite mine in Várpalota, the dolomite fields near Pétfürdo, and the spring water from the Pét stream. The plant began to produce inorganic chemicals and nitrogen-based fertilizers in 1932. The company has developed over the past 80 years as a result of many technological upgrades and investments in newer plants. It weathered the devastation of the Second World War, the occasional poorly conceived efforts to improve production, and the economic difficulties that accompanied the change of regime.