R & S Rentals and Sales
Ruwet – Sibley Equipment Corporation and R & S Rentals and Sales. We are a licensed Kubota dealer serving western Connecticut and its outlying areas with two locations at 194 Danbury Road (RT. 7) in New Milford, CT and 1703 East Main Street (RT. 202) in Torrington, CT. We are a family owned and operated company that strives to serve each of our customers with the highest respect and service, whether you are looking for a new or used tractor, parts, implements, or just some helpful advice.
Ruwet - Sibley was founded in 1949 with three employees and over the years has grown to employee 44 workers between the Torrington, CT and New Milford, CT locations. We are a customer service oriented organization, ensuring our customers are completely satisfied with the excellence of our products and the personal attention to service. Our dedication to quality and reliability and maintaining Ruwet & Sibley as a family business has remained a key principle since its founding.
Ruwet - Sibley was founded by George B. Ruwet and Harold R. Sibley on May 1, 1949 thanks to financial help from George Ruwet’s father, Louis J Ruwet and friends of the family, May and Dick Cook. The first floor of an abandoned hat shop became our first store, located on Housatonic Avenue in New Milford. We started with sales and service of the International Harvester franchise line. Soon after, we relocated to190 Danbury Road in New Milford to better serve the community with the International Harvester products. Currently, Ruwet - Sibley is located right next door to the previous location at 194 Danbury Road, New Milford.
In 1952, we opened our first Torrington store location on New Harwinton Road and also added a new partner, Joe N. Ruwet, brother to George. Two years later, we took on International Trucks and the Studebaker automobiles to further expand our product line. That same year and over the course of the following two years, Ruwet - Sibley in New Milford was expanded a great deal to include a 3,000-square-foot showroom and a larger shop to better serve our customers. Over our many years in business, we picked up short lines like Simplicity, Toro, Homelite, Jacobson, and Ariens. In 1958, Ruwet - Sibley purchased Lovell’s Farm Equipment in Newtown, Connecticut, to expand our territory and our team with the addition of Don Mougenot and Don Smith. Business remained steady, brands and product lines were taken on and discontinued and the Newtown store was sold to consolidate business operations and to refocus the business in the Northwest corner of Connecticut.
In 1973, George G. Ruwet, better known as “Hy”, joined his father in the company. The following year was a turning point for Ruwet - Sibley when the Kubota Tractor line was acquired. The Kubota product line has grown to be the market leader in 40-horsepower tractors and under and continues to lead the industry in new product innovation, versatility, design, and quality.
In 1982, Harold Sibley retired, selling his portion of the business to George G. Ruwet. Later that year, Ruwet - Sibley bought the NAPA Auto Parts franchise in New Milford to serve local garages and the general public.
In 1988, R & S Rentals and Sales was born at the East Main Street Torrington location, but it was owned by the parent company, Ruwet - Sibley in New Milford. A 4,000-square-foot building was home to R & S for two years while a bigger store was being built on a 3.5 acre parcel of land farther off the road. The previous 4,000-square-foot R & S building was then renovated and is currently being leased to Off Track Betting of Torrington.
In 1990, our current Torrington location opened at 1703 East Main Street. This building has allowed us to better serve our customers with more inventory, a large showroom, and larger shop to repair and service equipment. In 1992, Torrington also bought the NAPA Auto Parts franchise to supply the Northwestern hills area. Recently, we doubled our size at our Torrington location by adding a building for the NAPA store itself. This new building offers our customer a brand new 1,500- square-foot showroom, a 4,000-square-foot parts room, and 4 delivery trucks to get parts to our customers as quickly as possible. While our business has increased in size and in productivity, we are still as devoted to customer satisfaction and selling superior products as we were in 1949. Our family business is one that can be trusted for honest prices and quality equipment.