Otto Timm came to Canada in 1958, initially to continue his education/apprenticeship in horticulture. He noticed that many supplies required by nurseries were not readily available, and started to bring them in, while continuing to work in local nurseries and growing his own roses. Before long, he was importing more items to resell and Timm Enterprises was born. The first offices were in an old Sunday school in Oakville, Ontario, Canada. In 1971 the Timms purchased a 25 acre parcel of land in Milton. It is centrally located between the cities of Hamilton and Toronto and between the two major highways in this area: the 401 and Queen Elizabeth Way. The 407 toll road runs just south of this location.