We`re your dealer for Caterpillar construction, agriculture, and industrial products, serving 44 counties in Montana, northwestern North Dakota, Wyoming`s Bighorn Basin, and Yellowstone Park. As a part of Caterpillar`s worldwide dealer network we offer the full line of Caterpillar equipment, parts, and service. Browse our site for the latest in new and used equipment offerings, rental equipment, and breaking Caterpillar news.
Since its beginning as a Caterpillar® Dealer in 1929, Tractor & Equipment Co. has grown from a farm machinery dealership in the rear half of a blacksmith's shop in Sidney, Montana, to a multi-store operation servicing portions of , Montana, North Dakota, and Wyoming. J.J. Niehenke was the company founder and the President and General Manager of T&E through its beginning years.
Advancing with the times, Caterpillar® expanded into heavy construction equipment, which was used in road construction, dam building, land leveling and road maintenance. T&E's markets now included agricultural, governmental, and highway construction.
In 1953, John H. Harnish was elected President and General Manager. In 1963, T&E acquired our neighboring Caterpillar® Dealer in Billings, Nash Davis Machinery Company, which enlarged the territory and established Billings as the main office. T&E's markets continued to include construction and governmental with agriculture becoming less significant. During the 1970's T&E experienced growth opportunities in the mining and petroleum markets.
In 1977, John J. Harnish, grandson of the founder, was named General Manager and was elected President in 1982. John H. Harnish retained the position as Chairman of the Board.
In 1982, T&E moved the branch operations from Sidney to a new facility in Williston, North Dakota, further establishing its commitment to customer support in the territory. In 1985, T&E acquired ABBCO, Inc., the Caterpillar® Dealer for North Central Montana, with facilities located in Great Falls. The acquisition increased T & E's sales and service territory in Montana to include 44 of the 56 counties. T&E's Caterpillar® sales and service territory also includes five (5) counties in northwest North Dakota, and four (4) counties in Wyoming, plus Yellowstone National Park. The territory has over 135,000 square miles, with a population of only 600,000 people.
In January of 1990, T&E acquired a used truck facility in Billings. In June of 1990, the Truck Engine business was moved into this facility.
In 1993, T&E took on its biggest challenge; to be named the Caterpillar® Dealer for N C Machinery T&E finalized the financial agreement on December 30, 1993. On January 1, 1994, T&E assumed control of N C Machinery's territory. John J. Harnish, T&E's President, moved from Billings, Montana, to the new Corporate Headquarters in Seattle, Washington.
In 1998, T&E acquired MP&E (Machinery Power & Equipment). MP&E is the CAT Rental Store with branches in Montana serving Billings, Bozeman, Helena, Great Falls, Williston, ND and Worland, WY
In 2000, T&E underwent reorganization; as a result T&E became a wholly owned subsidiary of Harnish Group Inc., which is headquartered in Tukwila, WA. HGI and its member companies currently employ over 900 people.
In 2002, Dean Blackford, great grandson of the founder became General Manager of Tractor & Equipment Co.
In 2004 HGI has a total of 20 locations to serve our customers. Tractor & Equipment has 7 locations, (2) in Billings, on one each in Bozeman, Great Falls, Helena, Williston ND and Worland Wyoming. N C Machinery has 13 locations throughout Washington and Alaska.