Brussels -- The Agriculture and Fisheries Council meeting of September will take place in Brussels on 23rd September 2013, under the presidency of Mr Vigilijus Jukna, Lithuanian Minister of Agriculture. The Commission will be represented by Commissioner for Agriculture and Rural Development Dacian Cioloş and Health Commissioner Tonio Borg. A press conference will be held at the end of the discussions, before the Ministerial lunch discussion. The public debates and the press conferences can be followed by video streaming: http://video.consilium.europa.eu.
There will be a short presentation by the Commission and the Presidency of the state of play of the CAP Reform package focusing on the remaining outstanding issues linked to the Multi-Annual Financial Framework (notably degressivity and capping, flexibility for transferring CAP funds between pillars, and certain elements of Rural Development co-financing rates). In particular they will update the Council on the trilogue earlier this week where the European Parliament explained its position. The Presidency has asked to discuss the issues further over lunch, with a view to preparing the Council position ahead of a further trilogue next week (Tuesday evening, September 24), aimed at resolving these remaining points. On 26 June a political agreement was reached by the Council, the European Parliament and the Commission on the reform of the Common Agricultural Policy proposed by the Commission in October 2011 (see IP/13/613 and MEMO/13/621), but excluding these few issues linked to the MFF.
Any other business
- The Polish delegation will brief participants on the - threat of spreading the African swine fever into the EU territory and need for coordinated actions
- The Dutch delegation will draw attention to the transparency of data on live animals provided by the Trade Control and Expert System (TRACES).
- The Commission will present its Communication 'Supporting forests and the forest sector: a new approach for a new EU Forest Strategy', which was published today –see IP/13/850
- The Commission will brief Ministers on the state of play on international agricultural trade issues.
- The Presidency will report to the Council on the 7th International Congress 'Shaping Europe's Organic Future Together - Making an impact on the EU organic legal framework within the future CAP' recently held in Vilnius in July 2013
- The Irish delegation will present the conclusions from the 33rd Conference of Directors of EU Paying Agencies held in Dublin in April 2013
- The Slovenian delegation will brief participants on the International Conference on furthering the production of protein crops in Danube and South European Region held in Moravske Toplice in August 2013