Member of Parliament Vance Badawey, Niagara Centre and Member of Parliament Chris Bittle, St. Catharines announced $5.76 million in FedDev Ontario funding for Vineland’s new Collaborative Greenhouse Technology Centre at a special event June 3.
Hon Jeff Leal, Ontario Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs and Alan Caslin, Niagara Regional Chair were also present to discuss the importance of this funding to economic growth in the horticulture sector.
“This funding will increase the capacity of Ontario’s emerging innovation strength in greenhouse horticulture technologies,” said Dr. Jim Brandle, CEO, Vineland Research and Innovation Centre. “Vineland’s new Collaborative Greenhouse Technology Centre is uniquely positioned at the junction of the greenhouse horticulture and advanced engineering sectors to drive growth and we are thankful for FedDev Ontario’s support to meet this challenge.”
With this funding, Vineland is developing:
- automated vegetable packing systems
- gripper tools for automated handling of horticultural products
- wireless irrigation sensing and decision making systems
- automated disease detection systems and the commercialization of:
- automated planting and potted plant packaging systems
- automation technologies to aid mushroom harvesting