Angel's Fishing Rod
Dierama ‘Merlin’ or more commonly known as Angel’s fishing rod is a perennial with clusters of deep purple flowers along the arching flower stem in summer. It is an elegant feature plant that prefers a sunny sheltered position in the garden. This plant prefers to grow undisturbed in the garden, but Dierama ‘Merlin’ can also be planted in containers on the patio provided it is kept moist at all times. It gives dramatic effect to large patio containers both in flower and when its graceful seed heads develop.
- Leaf: Green, pointed, grass-like leaves
- Size: 1.0m H x 0.7m S/Open clump forming
- Flower: Dark purple flowers on long pendulous stems in mid to late summer
- Perferred Location: Garden border
- Water & Nutrition: Dierama generally do not need a lot of feed so depending on how rich your soil is just observe and if leaves are yellowing do not feed. An application of general fertilizer at low rates in spring is enough to keep the plants healthy all year. High potassium feed is recommended
- Likes: Full sun and rich free draining soils
- Dislikes: Water logged soil and temperatures below -5°C
- Presentation Ideas: Plant near flowing water for effect of overhanging flowers and seed heads. Plant in large containers. After a few years plants can be subdivided as corms and repotted. Share spare corms with your friends and neighbours. Dierama ‘Merlin’ will make an excellent large container specimen and provides both grassy effects in autumn and abundance of flowers in summer. Great value and fashionable plant!
- Grown In: Ireland