The XACT BioReactors are large scale in-vessel composters that convert huge volumes of solid organic waste into compost in as little as 3 to 7 days. The XACT BioReactor is available in 5’ to 10’ diameters and in lengths from 10’ to 60’. Although it is a simple design, it is built to heavy-duty standards in order to withstand the rigors of turning tons and tons of material 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.
For example, a 10’ x 60’ long BioReactor is turning 75 tons of waste up to 240 times per day!
- Carbon Steel Walls (up to 5/8” thick)
- Solid Steel Wheels
- Heavy Duty Mounting Frames
- Interior Liner Rings
- Negative Ventilation System for Process and Odor Control
- Foam Insulation for 24/7/365 Temperature Control
- Automatic Discharge Door
The BioReactor in-vessel composter rotates at about 5 to 10 rph, and is driven by a variable speed drive unit(s) using a 4-D Friction Drives Power the In-Vessel Compostersurprisingly low hp motor. The size of motor depends on the size of the vessel but ranges from 5 to 10 hp. Note that the ends of the BioReactor are fixed and only the cylinder rotates.
There are no temperamental interior plungers , fins or paddles. The organic material simply moves along the vessel as it decomposes and becomes lighter and fluffier.
- Requires no supplementary heat
- Offers tremendous throughput
- Saves labor
- Requires minimal land
Soft Touch Screen Control Panel (Optional)
- Optimizes processing factors
- Controls ventilation, drum rotation, temperatures
- Temperature Tracking
In-Vessel Composter Site Layout
One of the great advantages of the XACT in-vessel composter technology is that as your Compost Separate Organic Waste Streams operational needs increase, additional drums can be easily added–increasing your capacity with no down time. This is just one of the many possible layouts that could be designed for you!
Auxiliary Equipment Available
- Mixers for blending
- Grinders for particle size reduction
- Infeed and outfeed screw conveyors
- Distribution conveyor with automatic spreader
The XACT In Vessel Composting Process
This new compost processing system is totally different from common methods of composting. The precisely engineered BioReactor composting technology tightly controls the decomposition process of solid organic waste and reliably converts organic material into a nutrient rich humus. The resulting sanitized compost bears no resemblance to the waste from which it was converted. Plus, the compost that is produced is of a superior quality to conventional forms of composting; in other words, it is substantially matured in just 4 to 7 days.
Upon discharge, the compost is pathogen free, insect larvae free, weed seed free and virtually odorless. This in vessel composting equipment, the BioReactor, decomposes organic solid waste without adverse affects such as odor & VOC emissions and vermin attraction.
Composting Food Waste
Composting food waste in this Alaska composting facility http://www.alaskawaste.net/composting.htm with the in vessel composter from XACT has proven successful–just as expected! The 10′ x 32′ BioReactor processes 10 yards of organic waste per day. Striking the right balance of feedstocks with the rotation of the BioReactor and control of the ventilation has resulted in good quality compost production.
This in-vessel rotating drum composter is composting food waste, and interestingly enough, the amendment is horse manure. The operators of this facility know that in order to get good quality compost out, they need to put the right blend of feedstocks in. The constraints of the blend consists of: 1) a proper percentage of moisture and 2) the correct proportion of Carbon to Nitrogen. Because the food waste stream on its own did not meet these constraints, there needed to be an amendment added to the food waste.
Composting Food Waste Amended With Horse Manure
The horse manure was available and also needed to be disposed of, so this composting facility determined the right blend of these 2 waste streams, and are now indeed, producing very good compost. No less than a triple win! Using negative ventilation, clean air is drawn into the vessel, and the exhausted air is captured in the duct work located at the discharge end of the BioReactor. The air is directed to a biofilter for filtration before being released to the atmosphere.
Click below to read about another BioReactor food waste composting site ….
Dairy Farm Installations
1700 Cow Dairy Composts Dewatered Manure for Bedding
The XACT BioReactor on this dairy operation is 10’ diameter by 60’ long. It has to turn 45 to 50 tons of dewatered cow manure 240 times per day, 365 days per year. It had better be built strong!
After taking a look at the robust mechanical characteristics of the XACT BioReactor drum and the heavy duty drive system, this dairy operation was confident in the ability of the XACT system to handle the staggering weights of waste material to be processed daily.
Dewatered cow manure is fed into the vessel by a conveyor. Because the infeed opening is located in the upper left quadrant of the stationary infeed end, the BioReactor can be filled to 70% capacity. Remarkably, a 7.5 hp variable speed drive turns the BioReactor and its load.
After a 4-day retention period in the vessel, the discharged compost is taken back to the barn to be used as bedding for the herd. Upon discharge the compost is pathogen free, weed seed free, insect larvae free, and odorless. At this point the compost is about 50% moisture, and therefore as it gets blown into the stalls there is minimal airborne dust. Most importantly, the cows love it as it provides exceptional comfort.
Poultry Plant Processing Sludge & Hatchery Waste
This installation is operating with 3 BioReactors in order to quickly compost multiple waste streams (slaughterhouse sludge, hatchery waste, wood chips). 2 of the composters are permanently situated and the smaller third composter is temporarily in place to conduct trials of various other organic waste streams.
As you can see, these vessels are housed under a single roof. The land requirement for this composting system is pretty small compared to other methods of composting which would require a large acreage to compost the same amount of waste.
- Odor control is a major issue in traditional composting operations, but the BioReactor makes it a non-issue since the decomposition process occurs in the vessel and takes place very quickly. Plus,stockpiles of odorous waste are eliminated. Negative ventilation systems can draw off VOC’s and emissions, and a biofilter can easily be added to the system if required.
- Odor control is also ensured by the continual rotation of the drum, which causes the organic material to tumble around inside. This tumbling action ensures all the particles of the waste are exposed to oxygen at all times which is vital to a highly aerobic composting process and therefore an odor-free process.
Pathogen Free Composting
- Pathogen and virus destruction are the foundations of our composting system. XACT In-Vessel Organics Composting follows the guidelines set down by the EPA to ensure pathogen and virus kill.
- The fast composting process of the in-vessel composter produces excellent quality compost.
- The XACT BioReactor System has the fastest decomposition time—it can compost organic waste in as little as 4 days. Compare this to traditional methods that can take upwards of a year!
- Less manpower is required because the rotating vessel does all the work—one man can operate the entire process.
- The XACT BioReactor uses a very, very low horsepower electric motor to operate.
- The vessel is insulated which helps retain the high operating temperatures of 130°F+ (55°C+) required (this is the EPA standard for pathogen kill—3 days at 130°F). Because of the insulation, the XACT vessel does not need to be housed in a building, but the compost should be stored under cover.
- The process is natural and typically requires no added heat.
- Less land is required with the rotating drum because the decomposition process occurs within the vessel, and less feedstock piles are required because material is processed so fast.
- Site requirements are minimal because of the compact size of the system, and because what little condensates are present are completely captured.
- Fantastic compost is the result because changeable weather conditions are not a consideration, and all the factors needed for great decomposition are optimized and controlled. The resulting compost is clean, top-grade that will meet EPA standards. The compost is:
- Class A
- Insect larvae-free
- Weed seed-free
- Weather concerns such as precipitation, temperature, humidity and wind chill are no longer factors affecting the process or rate of composting or the performance of the BioReactor. For periods of extreme weather conditions, an optional heater is available.
- Composting with XACT’s in-vessel technology, significantly reduces the volume of waste.
- Vectors, such as flies, rodents and birds, are drastically reduced because volatile organic material is completely decomposed.
- VOC’s and emissions are controlled.
- Producing Designer Compost is possible (compost with specific nutrient values).
These are just some to the types of organic waste that can be rapidly composted with the BioReactor.
The XACT System’s rotating drum BioReactor monitors and maintains the critical elements of the aerobic decomposing process within ideal ranges; therefore, composting occurs at the fastest rate possible with the rotating vessel doing all the work.
- Dairy Manure
- Horse Manure
- Poultry Manure
- Food Waste
- Yard Waste
- Fish Waste
- Wood Chips
- Municipal solid waste