Aluminum Heat Exchangers
Chart’s Brazed Aluminum Heat Exchangers and Cold Boxes are at the heart of low temperature natural gas, air separation and petrochemical processes worldwide.Chart Industries pioneered the use of brazed aluminum heat exchangers (BAHX) in the 1950s and has produced over 12,000 units since. The principal design and manufacturing facility is in La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA, supported by a sales and engineering office in Wolverhampton, England. In 2014 Chart opened a twin manufacturing facility in Wuxi, China.
BAHX, also known as plate fin heat exchangers, are essential for cryogenic gas processing applications worldwide including Air Separation, LNG liquefaction, Nitrogen Rejection, NGL Recovery and other low temperature natural gas and petrochemical processes.
The in-house designed and built BAHX are fundamental to Chart’s standard LNG liquefaction plants and complete package solutions for nitrogen rejection and propane dehydrogenation. In addition to stand-alone plate fin heat exchangers Chart offers fully assembled and tested battery assemblies and Cold Boxes.
Externally, a Cold Box is a carbon steel enclosure with flanged terminations to facilitate simple on-site connection to plant process pipework. Internally a Cold Box can extend from housing a single Brazed Aluminum Heat Exchanger to a complex system of multiple Brazed Aluminum Heat Exchangers connected in series and parallel, together with associated interconnecting pipe, process separation vessels, valves and a complete instrumentation package.
Chart’s primary Cold Box fabrication location is a 40-acre coastal facility in New Iberia, Louisiana, USA, providing direct access to the US inter-coastal waterway and the Gulf of Mexico. The Wuxi facility is similarly equipped and is the gateway to Asia.
Cold box manufacturing is supported by design and engineering from La Crosse, Wisconsin, and The Woodlands, Texas, USA.
- Custom engineered to meet customer’s thermal and hydraulic performance requirements
- Proprietary in-house high performance simulation software results in optimal configurations
- Comprehensive range of heat transfer fins and patterns, all proven to facilitate maximum design flexibility
- A rigorous development program supports Chart’s commitment to continued improvements in thermal efficiency and high pressure design capability
- Plate Fin Heat exchangers can be offered in accordance with all recognised applicable national design codes and Chart holds all major international quality accreditations