BRZ - Agricultural Uses
Basic Principles: BRZ has two methods of holding cations such as ammonium, and plant nutrients. The first method is by
absorption in channel ways. BRZ will hold up to 55% of its weight in water. The second method is by 'cation exchange' (measured as cation exchange capacity or 'CEC'). By this method, BRZ holds ammonium and other plant nutrients in the crystal structure where they are not water-soluble but are plant-accessible on an as-needed time-release basis.
- Mineral: Consists of a volcanic mineral called 'clinoptilolite” (see spec sheet)
- Size: 3/8” x ¼”. 4 x 8, 8 x 40, 14 x 40, 30 x 60, -40 mesh
- GRAS: Classified as “GRAS” (generally regarded as safe) under 21 CFR Part 582.2729, 40 CFR Part 180.1001
- Color: Pale green when dry, dark green when wet
- Moisture: Holds up to 55% of its weight in water
- Surface Area: High surface area, 24.9 square meters/gram
- Weight: 55 pounds per cubic foot
- CEC: High cation exchange capacity (CEC) of 140 to 180 meq/100gram
- Potassium: 3.47%
- Calcium: 1.6%
- Sodium: <0.5% (no water soluble sodium)
-40 and -14X40 mesh products are fed to animals and poultry. It has the following advantages:
- odor control
- flow agent/anti caking agent for food stuffs
- increased pellet durability for pellet feeds
CARRIER FOR PESTICIDES AND HERBICIDES
BRZ in a minus 40 or 100 mesh size or even finer is used as a carrier for pesticides and herbicides due to its porosity.
See BRZ Animal Odor Control.
See BRZ Soil Amendment.
BRZ can be ammoniated naturally with manure for the qualification of 'organic grown' or artificially with ammonium nitrate, ammonium sulfate, urea, or other nitrogen sources. It contains approximately 3.5% potassium. Phosphate can also be added.
WATER POLLUTION CONTROL
BRZ absorbs ammonium and ammonia gas to reduce the conversion of the nitrogen to nitrates and nitrites that cause water pollution.
The use of up to 2 % zeolite allows the pellet mill to be run at higher temperatures. This reduces friction, increases production by up to 35%, and increases gelatinization to make a more durable pellet.
BRZ helps dry materials and enhances the flow ability of feeds from bins, chutes, and trucks.
See BRZ Spill Clean.