There are three elements, air, temperature and humidity, that if engineered correctly will result in precision seed drying. Air, its quality, temperature, and movement, have an enormous impact on seed conditioning and productivity. We have discovered that many seed drying problems are caused by an unbalanced drying system. In other words, for every cubic foot of air exhausted an equal amount must be replaced. The simple solution is the exchange of makeup air with fresh air. Most importantly, the introduction of make-up air eliminates air contamination, exchanges stale air or humidity, eliminates disproportional air, and maintains proper air stratification for proper seed drying conditions.
Seed Drying Features
- STS chamber dryers are designed and engineered for precision of temperature, humidity and air flow for drying all varieties of seed.
- Seed drying must be as versatile as possible. Yet, the products' temperature, humidity and air flow have to be accurate. If they are not, under drying or over drying can occur. The STS dryers are designed to provide this accuracy.
- The STS dryer cabinet/chamber models trap air and humidi1y with precise calibrated temperature and discharge them at a given rate based on seed density and seed moisture content.
- The operator has the control to increase or decrease the amount of air velocity in the front portion of the dryer plenum. This control allows the operator to increase or discharge excess amounts of air as needed with regards to drying load capacity.
- Each drying box or chamber has its own damper adjustment. Either to balance air velocity or close off a section.
- Each drying box or chamber section can be calibrated with air velocity different from the other damper section or chambers at anytime.
- The STS electric and gas model heating units are both versatile in air flow to provide a more detailed velocity requirement. The Gas Model, however, uses speed control motors and bleeder dampers to adjust air speed and pressure.
Seed Dryer Heating Components
Modulating Controller - Gas Models
STS Dryer systems use a modulating controller to keep the temperature band as tight (narrow) as possible to eliminate heat swing.
The modulating controller senses the temperature of the discharged air and proportions the gas input to load demand. When the temperature is below the controller setting, the burner will modulate to high fire. As the air temperature approaches the controller setting the modulating gas valve will close in small increments until the control point temperature is maintained. As the discharge air temperature falls below the control point setting, a reverse cycle takes place opening the modulating gas valve trying to maintain at least a 3-50F heat swing. Again, as tight of a heat band as possible is maintained.
All electric model heating units are versatile to heat settings. Our electric air flow is calibrated by a variable speed controller Also available is a motor switch control for two speed setting. The heat is controlled by staggering heat elements to keep a consistency of calibrated heat throughout the drying regime. This is to provide a gentle cycle at all times. The dryer can keep temperature consistent to 1 degree heat swing with mild (tight band) heat swing cycling.
Proven Seed Drying
Through our experience we have found that air flow in relation to moisture content in the seed has a great advantage if dried gently and evenly The air releasing excess moisture from the seed at a slow discharge in a stratified chamber will keep the tissue of the seed plump, and won't allow inconsistency throughout the seed bed. This will allow the seed to reach the desired moisture content; but Will provide plump, vigorous and long term viable seed. This is also an important drying process to have dried plump seed to get a precision upgrade when separating seed for its final stages.