Escherichia Coli Bacterin
From Dairy Vaccines
Escherichia Coli Bacterin is intended for use in dairy cows and heifers as an aid in reducing mastitis due to Escherichia coli bacteria. Escherichia Coli Bacterin contains killed cultures of the J-5 strain of Escherichia coli bacteria.
Coliform Mastitis: Disease Description
Mastitis is inflammation of the mammary gland as a result of invasion through the teat canal by disease causing organisms. There are two categories of mastitis--contagious and environmental. The contagious type of mastitis is usually passed from cow to cow typically in the milking parlor, or through handling. The environmental type of mastitis typically occurs when manure or bedding comes in contact with teat openings - generally when the cow lies down after milking. Environmental mastitis is broken down into two groups as well: streptococcal and coliform. The group of coliforms that commonly cause mastitis includes E. coli, Klebsiella, and Enterobacter. Coliform mastitis in unvaccinated animals can cause abortions, loss of milk production in the affected quarter, and even be life-threatening.
Escherichia Coli Bacterin: Product Directions
This product is intended for use in healthy dairy cattle as an aid in the reduction of mastitis due to Escherichia coli. To use, shake well and administer a 5cc dose subcutaneously. Three doses are recommended at four to six week intervals. Do not vaccinate within two weeks of parturition.
Escherichia Coli Bacterin: Product Precautions
- Store at 35-45 F. Do not freeze.
- Use entire contents when first opened.
- Do not vaccinate within 60 days before slaughter or within two weeks before or after parturition.
- If signs of anaphylaxis occur, treat appropriately with epinephrine or equivalent.
- Efficacy of this product has been proven on commercial dairies; however, response to any vaccine is dependent upon the environmental challenge and immune function of the animal.
- This product contains no antibiotics, and requires no milk withdrawal period.
Safety and Supply
No systemic adverse effects were found in any of the numerous field trials. No systemic adverse effects attributable to this vaccine were reported through the first 10,000,000 doses sold. A transient vaccine site reaction may occur, which consists of a mild, non-painful swelling of the skin at the injection site. This product has been distributed in California since 1992, and nationwide since 2014.
- Supplied: 50 and 20 dose bottles.
- Please direct technical inquiries to: Hygieia Biological Laboratories
- For veterinary use only