Frostbuster - Model F401 & F352 - Frost Buster Machine
The Frostbuster really is a unique machine in the fight against night frost for fruit and wine growers. If you look for a cheaper protection per hectare: you will find none. Even more, the Frostbuster has several advantages compared to other frost protection systems: you can protect your crops in places where no water is available, or protect fruits which cannot be protected with water. It can be used not only during radiation frost but also during wind frost, and a lot of farmers use the Frostbuster to improve their crop's fruit set. The Frostbuster was introduced on the market in 2002 and is now sold in more than 12 countries. We invite you to take a closer look to all the aspects of the Frostbuster.
The Frostbuster is a trailed machine. The powerful fan is driven by the PTO of the tractor. In the air inlet of the fan, there is a gas burner that heats the air up to 80 to 100° Celsius. At the back of the machine are the containers for the gas bottles.
The heated air is blown between the trees through 2 outlets (1 at the left and 1 at the right). Because the air flow is so powerful, we cover a distance up to 40 to 50 meters at each side of the machine. Therefore, it's only necessary to drive through the rows every 60 to 90 meters. We will calculate for you the ideal circuit which is different for almost every orchard. However, it is very important to pass at the same spot within 10 minutes. The total surface that can be protected depends on the shape and the dimensions of the plot.
There are 3 factors that make the Frostbuster work:
- The increase of temperature.
- A very important factor is the creation of temperature fluctuations: at each passing of the Frostbuster, the temperature rises shortly and drops again. These fluctuations create a big part of the protection that we get with the Frostbuster.
- Probably the most important factor is the influence on the relative humidity. Wherever the Frostbuster is used, the relative humidity goes down. Because of this, the dew point is raised significantly. Therefore, there will be less hoar-frost and less ice on the plants. Result: no or very litlle damage.
The Frostbuster can be used almost everywhere and for several applications:
- For night frost protection in orchards for all kind of fruit, in vineyards, in greenhouses and plastic tunnels, for strawberries, raspberries, flowers, vegetables, apples, pears, peaches, plums etc.
- To improve the fruit set in low temperature during blossom.
- To raise the temperature in plastic tunnels, to bring forward the first harvest date in the beginning of the season, or to pick later at the end of the season.
- Better fruit set.
- Cheap: other systems will cost at least 3 times more for the same protected surface.
- Not a fix installation but mobile so it can be used in every plot.
- Low consumption therefore a low price per hour.
- Low maintenance costs.
- Environmental friendly: burning of propane gas.
- No risk of diseases as in case of the use of water.
- Easy to use.
- Can be used to heat up plastic tunnels (in England frequently used for this).
- Works not only in case of radiation frost but also in case of wind frost.
- Multiple uses: fruit bearing, drying fruit, etc.
- No permits needed (like for construction or environment).
- Possibility to set up and run quickly.
- Fast shut down for example when the temperature rises quickly.