The Gem Mussel Float was designed with the purpose of playing a pivotal role in the cultivation of mussel spat on ropes suspended from twin anchorage points on the float, positioned top and bottom. A special valve is fitted to allow air pressurisation before and during use. This feature ensures that both shape and buoyancy are preserved in all marine conditions. Compared to the method of dredging mussels from the seabed, the Gem float offers a a number of distinct advantages.
- Faster growth
- Healthier good quality mussel product
- Greater meat content and thinner shell
- Free from grit as the mussels don't touch the sea bed
- Fuller use of the water column
- Lower wastage rate
- The use of previously unproductive areas