The increasing scarcity of water resources is a global long-term trend. Today, 20% of the world population is suffering from serious water shortage. At the global scale, water consumption has doubled the last 50 years and the United Nations expect, that it will increase plus 25% until 2030. Climate change as well as the pressing demand to feed the growing population by water intensive agriculture exacerbates this trend.
Additionally, water scarcity goes hand in hand with the problems of growing salination and soil degradation. Since modern irrigation started more than one third of the fertile land in the dry regions of our planet has degraded due to manmade salination, which underlines two major issues for sustainable irrigation:
- There is no efficient and sustainable irrigation without a fertile, water holding soil
- There is no good and fertile soil without efficient and environmentally sound irrigation
The combination of the soil conditioner and the SDI irrigation unites ecologically awareness with high cost effectiveness and has the following advantages for agriculture:
- Water savings greater than 50%
- Increased yield
- Increased soil fertility
- Prevention of soil salination
- Increase of plant available water
- Drastic reduction of weed growth
- Increase in soil microbial activity
- Increase in soil nitrogen
- Stronger roots and better plant growth
- Better plant health and reduced fungal disease
- Efficient fertilizing by fertigation
- Long-life irrigation system
- Low maintenance
- No interference of machinery with surface irrigation system
Consultancy is our first step towards sustainable solutions for soil and irrigation. In a second step, we offer our patented environmentally sound irrigation system HYDRIP®, which provides radical water savings while at the same time improving the soil. In combining highly efficient sub-surface drip irrigation with ecological and water storing soil conditioners we can offer water savings of more than 50% and significant savings in operating costs.
HYDRIP soil conditioners are positioned around the dripper line where they foster healthy plant growth by optimizing the water:air balance in the soil. The HYDRIP® soil conditioners greatly increase the water storage capacity in the root zone while generally improving soil quality. The soil conditioners are natural products made of specially treated minerals which have a long term effect by building up clay humic compounds that sustainably improve soil functions and fertility. The results are more vital and stress resistant plants, increased yields and a reduced irrigation and fertilization demand.