Laureate - Model FR Series - Electronic Counters
The Laureate dual-channel frequency, rate and period meter is a basic operating mode of the Laureate counter with the FR signal conditioner board. It can display frequency from 0.005 Hz to 1 MHz, rate in engineering units, and period (inverse of frequency). The normal displayed value can range up to 999,999 counts. Above that level, the display will flash and go into four-digit XXXXEX scientific notation. Each channel (A or B) may be independently scaled for frequency, rate or period. The displayed channel is selected via a front panel pushbutton. Examples of applications are the accurate display of AC line frequency, RPM, speed from proximity switch inputs, and flow from turbine flow meter inputs.
- Fast, high resolution measurements. The Laureate counter determines frequency by timing an integral number of periods over a specified gate time, and then taking the inverse of period. Rate is obtained by multiplying the input by a scale factor. The inverse period approach allows greater accuracy and faster update times than conventional meters which count signal pulses over a time interval. AC line frequency may be accurately measured to 50.0000 or 60.0000 Hz in a few line cycles. 1000 Hz signals may be measured to 0.01 Hz resolution at up to 25 readings per second. Fast response is ideal for alarm and control applications.
- For noise reduction, a count by 10 or 100 feature with rounding is selectable. Variations in the displayed reading can also be reduced by selecting a longer gate time. An adaptive digital filter is selectable to reduce variations due to noise while rapidly responding to actual changes in the signal.
An Extended counter version provides all capabilities of the Standard counter plus the following:
- Rate and total simultaneously. One channel can display total while the other displays rate. The selection for either channel is via a front panel pushbutton. This mode is ideal for flow applications when the same signal is applied to both channels.
- Custom curve linearization. Exceptionally accurate custom curve linearization allows linearization of the low end of turbine flowmeters. For setup, up to 180 data points can be input into a spreadsheet or text file by the user. The computer then calculates nonlinear segments, which are downloaded into the meter via RS-232. The Extended version allows linearized rates to be totalized.
- Arithmetic functions. The Extended counter makes arithmetic functions available, namely A+B, A-B, AxB, A/B and A/B-1 (draw). For example, A+B allows two input flows to be summed for total flow, while A-B allows outflow to be subtracted from inflow for net flow. If transducers with a frequency output are used, AxB allows horsepower to be displayed based measured torque and RPM, or based on force and velocity. A/B can be used for the proper mixing of ingredients, while A/B-1 (draw) is used to compare rates for stretching or tensioning
he FR dual-channel signal conditioner accepts inputs from proximity switches w ith PNP or NPN output, TTL or CMOS logic, magnetic pickups, contact closures, low-level outputs from turbine flow meters down to 12 mV, and high-level AC line inputs up to 250 Vac. A built-in isolated 5, 10, or 24 Vdc excitation supply can power proximity switches and other sensors, thus eliminating the need for an external power supply.
Designed for system use. Optional plug-in boards for communications and control include Ethernet and other serial communication boards, dual or quad relay boards, and single or dual isolated analog output boards. Laureates may be powered from 85-264 Vac or optionally from 12-32 Vac or 10-48 Vdc. The display is available with red or green LEDs. The 1/8 DIN case meets NEMA 4X (IP65) specifications from the front when panel mounted. Any setup functions and front panel keys can be locked out for simplified usage and security. All power and signal connections are via UL / VDE / CSA rated screw clamp plugs.