Ovadine - Model PVP - Iodine Product
Ovadine is the only PVP Iodine product approved in Canada for fish egg surface disinfection. Ovadine is a non-staining, non-corrosive buffered 10% polyvinylpyrrolidone-iodine complex (PVP Iodine) which provides 1% available iodine. In Canada, this product is a Health Canada approved pharmaceutical specifically formulated for use in aquaculture as a fish egg disinfectant for salmonids of the genera Salmo and Onchorhynchus or as a general sanitizer.
Ovadine is manufactured according to Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP). It is widely used as a fish egg disinfectant in North America to reduce the transmission of diseases between generations of fish. Ovadine fish egg disinfectant is an important part of a complete Biosecurity program.
Ovadine is an effective sanitizer for preventing the spread of Aeromonas salmonicida, Chondrococcus columnaris, Cytophaga psychrophila, Renibacterium salmonicida, Vibrio anguillarum, Yersinia ruckeri, Infectious Hematopoietic Necrosis Virus, Infectious Pancreatic Necrosis Virus, Infectious Salmon Anemia Virus and Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia Virus associated with fish egg surfaces.
Fish Egg Surface Disinfectant
- Conditions such as the organic content of the water and the mass of the fish eggs vary, thus the number of eggs treated will vary.
- Place eggs into a 100 ppm free iodine solution of Ovadine for ten minutes. A suitable ratio is 1 volume of eggs to 4 volumes of this solution.
- A 100 ppm free iodine solution is made by diluting 10 ml Ovadine to 1 litre with clean water.
- Rinse eggs with clean water
*If you are unfamiliar with fish egg disinfection, we recommend that you first consult with your local fish health professional.
- A 250 ppm available iodine solution is made by diluting 25 ml Ovadine to 1 litre with clean water. Use as a dip or bath.
- Wash items that are heavily contaminated with soil or organic debris before disinfecting with Ovadine.
- A change in the solution colour from dark brown to light yellow indicates loss of activity. Ideally, the free iodine concentration should be monitored during treatment. Renew by using a fresh solution of Ovadine.
Storage: Store at room temperature between 15°C and 30°C (59°F and 86°F). Protect from direct sunlight.
Warning: Do not use for disinfection of fish eggs intended for human or animal consumption.