Perma-Beads - Sinking Beads for Aquaculture Filtration Systems
From Aquaculture Systems
Perma-Beads are specifically designed sinking beads to replace sand in any filter media. There are no plumbing changes needed. Perma-Beads eliminate clogging, compaction and channeling in any size, make or model sand filter. Perma-Beads are spherical and about 3 mm in diameter. If you imagine these little spheres stacked up under the water there are tremendous interstitial spaces available to capture debris. Perma-Beads have the slipperiness of Teflon but are much harder. Perma-Beads are very dense yet fluidize easily upon backwash due to their unique surface properties. It is this special combination of high density and super slippery surface properties that allows the dirt to easily blow out of the filter upon backwash. No plumbing changes are needed.
- Provide Superior Quality- Perma-Beads are superb at capturing debris due to their unique shape, surface properties and density.
- Need No Plumbing Changes - Switching to Perma-Beads does not require any plumbing changes. Simply remove the sand and pour the Perma-Beads into any sand filter.
- Save Water - Perma-Beads reduce both the frequency and duration of backwashes saving thousands of gallons.
- Save Money - Perma-Beads allow pumps to run cooler requiring less service and extending equipment life while reducing electrical operating costs and replacement costs.
- Save Time - Perma-Beads eliminate the time needed for frequent pressure place monitoring, frequent back washes of long duration, attempts to unclog compacted, channeled filters and replace compacted sand or other media.
- Are Permanent - Perma-Beads have been in continuous operation in thousands of filters for over 20 years without clogging, compaction, channeling or replacement.
- Are Pure - Perma-Beads are never made from scrape plastic from unknown sources or odd shaped material of varying chemical compositions. The consistent uniformity and professional quality of Perma-Beads ensures the complete absence of any contaminants guaranteeing their use for sensitive species.
- Recycle Nutrients - Perma-Beads concentrate filtered waste nutrients in the replacement water which can then be applied directly to aquaponic or agricultural use as a free, all natural fertilizer.
Perma-Beads are all of a uniform size, color, density and physical properties and we never use scrape plastic from unknown sources or odd shaped material of varying chemical compositions. The consistent uniformity and professional quality of Perma-Beads ensures the complete absence of any contaminants. This quality guarantee has allowed us to use Perma-Beads in numerous aquatic systems with delicate fish and invertebrates including critically sensitive government and private esearch systems. Our customers have now been using Perma-Bead media for over 20 years in thousands of sand filters. Many still are using the original Perma-Beads after 20 years of continuous operation without clogging or channeling while providing superb quality! Perma-Beads are truly permanent and never need replacement.
Advanced Aquaculture Systems offers free technical support to determine the proper volume of Perma-Beads to replace sand in any sand filter. We also offer free system design services for complete recirculating systems. Please do not hesitate to call or email with any questions you may have regarding any aspect of quality. We always take a very personal approach to our customer’s inquiries and provide free technical support and professional system design services.
Perma-Beads - replace sand in any make or model sand filter eliminating clogging , channeling and compaction, saving water and reducing maintenance while providing superb quality.
- Perma-Beads eliminate clogging, channeling and compaction in all sand filters.
- Perma-Beads need no plumbing changes.
- Perma-Beads are easy to install.
- Perma-Beads never need to be replaced.
- Perma-Beads reduce water usage.
- Perma-Beads reduce maintenance time.
- Perma-Beads have been in continuous use for over 20 years in thousands of filters!
- Perma-Beads create superb quality in any make or model sand filter!
Physical Shape - Perma-Beads are specifically designed to replace sand in any sand filter. Perma-Beads do not have flat or porous surfaces that can stick together as in sand or other angular, irregularly shaped, or porous media. The smooth spherical shape of each bead prevents adhesion and bridging to other beads. This unique, spherical shape also creates optimal interstitial spaces between Perma-Beads, trapping large quantities of debris thereby minimizing water use by decreasing both the frequency and duration of the backwashes.
Surface Properties - The very hard surface properties of Perma-Beads prevent bacteria from etching into the surface and the very slippery surface allows even the stickiest waste to be scrubbed off when the bed fluidizes upon backwash. In fact, as Perma-Beads age, they remove smaller particles as a thin film of nitrifying bacteria covers each bead. These are the same bacteria that create bridging, clogging and channeling in other media, but in Perma-Beads, this mechanism actually serves to trap smaller particles that are then easily removed in the backwash cycle.
Water Quality - Since 1989, Perma-Beads have been used in thousands of filters, many of which are still consistently providing exceptionally clear water with the load of Perma-Beads. The 215 square feet of surface area per cubic foot provide a significant surface area for supplemental biological filtration, especially when an oxygenated flow of water enters the filter canister, such as when an Aquacube is placed near the suction intake.
Easily Installed - The dense nature of Perma-Bead media (1 cu. ft. = 55 lbs.) prevents loss upon backwash while reducing the weight needed to replace sand by approximately 60%. The high density of Perma-Beads also eliminates the need for any plumbing changes when switching from sand to Perma-Beads. Simply remove the sand and pour in the Perma-Beads. No plumbing changes are needed.
Physical Stability - Perma-Beads never need replacement and can even be repeatedly sterilized using chlorine or muriatic acid without any adverse effects upon the Perma-Beads. Perma-Bead media has been in continous use in thousands of ornamental pond systems as well as aquaculture and municipal sites for over 20 years.
How To Purchase Perma-Beads - Look at the side of the filter or owners manual to find the filter manufacturer's rating for pounds of sand or call (800-994-7599), with the make and model of the filter, for a price quote and shipping and answers to any questions you may have.