PickerTECH - Model MHS - Fruit Harvesting System
Our transport tubes provide for the rapid, gentle, linear movement of fruit and other agricultural products in the field. Historically, the specialty crop industry has heavily relied on manual labor to harvest and pack its crops. As such, increased labor costs, immigration issues and limited technology have provided the impetus for development of automated systems that can dramatically improve worker productivity and efficiency.
- Additionally, the need to trace food to its source, improve quality and increase shelf life requires new processes and supporting technologies. This is a large, diverse and labor intensive market that is ripe for automation and more efficient ways to move commodities from the orchard to the consumer.
- See the Comparative Feature Chart above to compare the Whooshh enabled PickerTECH Mobile Harvest System, against the alternatives.
What are the opportunities to improve harvest efficiency if using an automated harvest system? What would it do? Here is what we heard from all of you.
- it would dramatically improve harvest productivity
- it would reliably sort the good fruit from the cull/industry fruit in the field
- it would decrease product transportation costs
- it would report on the number, size, and color of the fruit in the bin
- it would be useable for numerous tree fruit crops, including apple, citrus, and stone-fruit
- it would allow for picking at night
- it would not be sensitive to the length of the row
- it would fit in and work more efficiently than hand labor in almost any orchard configuration
- it would decrease ladder induced injuries
- it would provide ergonomic improvements over hand labor - increasing the available labor pool
- it would not need its own driver
- it would allow the grower to sell the culls directly to the processor
- it would damage less fruit
- it would be an advantage when recruiting migrant labor
- it would decrease the reliance on the H2A visa and those costs
- it would decrease spoilage in the bin
Enabled by the Whooshh fruit transport tubes, all of these requests are possible as demonstrated by our PickerTECH Mobile Harvest System.