SmartPro - Incubation System
SmartPro™ is Pas Reform's latest and most advanced development for modular, single-stage incubation to date: a solution that enables Circadian Incubation™. The modern hatchery manager’s goal is to produce large numbers of uniform, robust day old chicks. Robustness is a health criterion, originating in the embryonic life stage of the chicken – and correlating directly with the performance and resistance of individual chicks under differing farm conditions. Detailed research has shown that robustness can be achieved by stimulating the embryo with a specific trigger, i.e. stimulation by heat or cold, during critical periods of the incubation process. This causes so-called ‘embryonic imprinting’ on a physiological level, to produce a chicken that will thrive in its farm environment.
Such daily short-term thermo-conditioning is at the heart of Circadian Incubation™ – and known to improve hatchability, for long-lasting effects that include 1-2% increase in final body weight and 1-2 points better feed conversion rates. Batches of uniform, robust day old chicks also deliver uniformity at slaughter age, thereby improving processing yields, efficiency and performance throughout the entire production chain.
To support the use of Circadian Incubation™, the incubator must deliver precise climate control. To achieve truly homogeneous temperature distribution, the challenge is to exchange energy, CO2/O2 and moisture – without affecting temperature uniformity around the eggs.
To meet this exacting requirement, Pas Reform’s SmartPro™ uniquely combines three critical features: modular design, a new Vortex™-based airflow principle and Adaptive Metabolic Feedback™.
1 Patent Pending with Worldwide Intellectual Property Rights
Modular incubator design
Modular design creates sectional environments in the incubator that can be controlled individually. This is the only way to guarantee homogeneous temperature in incubators containing more than 100,000 hatching eggs. Each modular section of the incubator is supported by its own temperature, heating, cooling, humidification and ventilation systems.
Modular design: precise control
- Modular setter and hatcher design enables the precise control of temperature, humidity, O2 and CO2 in large incubators.
- Separate heating, cooling, humidification and ventilation systems in each module of 19,200 eggs provide a homogeneous environment.
- Modular, precise ambient control for larger hatchers comprising up to six modules.
- Integrated heating & cooling system (setter) and SurroundCooling™ (hatcher) in each section of the incubator, for optimum energy transmission, fast, even warm-up to set temperature and maximum, future-proof cooling capacity.
- Modular design of both setter and hatcher uniquely enables the incubation of eggs from different flocks and different ages in the same machine, without losing performance and results.
Intensive analysis using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) has demonstrated that the most effective method of exchanging energy, CO2/O2 and moisture in the incubator, is to generate as many vortices as possible – of a specific dimension and intensity – in the wake of the air pump blade. This research, combined with practical field studies, has driven the design and construction of Pas Reform’s brand new Vortex™.
Vortex for complete temperature homogeneity
- Tested and proven as the most effective method of exchanging energy, CO2/O2 and moisture in the incubator.
- Generates multiple, controlled vortices in the wake of the air pump blade, exchanging energy, CO2/O2 and moisture without affecting the incubator’s homogeneous temperature.
- Inlet air is channeled along the side of the setter trolleys, to prevent ambient air making direct contact with the eggs.
- Mixing zone assures complete air temperature homogeneity before air is drawn over the eggs.
- Mixed air vortices flow in parallel with the turning direction of setter trolleys, ensuring that air direction along the eggs changes constantly, for unique, homogeneous egg shell temperature.
Adaptive Metabolic Feedback
Adaptive Metabolic Feedback (AMF) has been developed to ensure that the incubation environment meets the metabolic needs of each growing embryo during its development. With a focus on managing moisture and CO2, AMF™ continually ‘reads’ the time-varying metabolism of a specific batch of embryos, to adapt control parameters and fine-tune the incubator environment according to the embryo’s needs. Ultimately AMF™ maximizes uniformity by optimizing airflow, the evaporation of moisture and air redistribution.
AMF: creating an adaptive environment
- AMF™ software delivers precise, adaptive control over humidity and CO2 during the incubation process – according to the time-varying metabolism of a specific batch of embryos.
- Unparalleled functionality incorporated into one central operator console. Fully integrated sensor box includes high precision electronic humidity and CO2 control.
- Custom controlled relative humidity set points for variable egg weight loss at each stage of embryonic development.
- Prevents excessive inlet of (dry and cold) fresh air for maximum temperature homogeneity.
- Additional, integrated modules include SmartWatch™ – automatically registers and minimizes the hatch window; ESM™ Energy Saving Module – for fully programmable Vortex™ RPM; SmartTransfer™ module – for programmable turning intervals during transfer; PID control – with set points per section and fully adjustable turning programmes.
Ease of use is of paramount importance in the daily, working practice of the hatchery. From loading and unloading incubators, to closed-door operation and keeping both routine and service maintenance tasks to the minimum, SmartPro’s™ advanced ergonomic design benefits from decades of practical hatchery experience. Every detail has been thoughtfully engineered, to deliver safe, efficient operation, while at the same time minimising maintenance, reducing the risk of mistakes and decreasing labour costs.
Thoughtful engineering. Maximum user friendliness
- SmartTouch™ multi-language user interface design, makes operation simple and easily accessible to operators of all skill levels – from experienced hatchery managers with specific control needs, to fully automated hatcheries.
- Large, high-contrast, high resolution 10.4 inch colour LCD screen with Projective Capacitive Touch Screen technology (PCT) and ergonomic user interface viewing angle.
- Highly manoeuvrable trolley, with two swivel wheels and ergonomically designed handle bar for easy loading / unloading of incubator.
- Large inspection window provides full view of entire machine interior for thorough physical inspection, plus comprehensive user interface and record keeping – all from outside the incubator.
- Maximum use of maintenance free components, including high temperature bearings, long-life lubricants, low friction motors and toothed V-belt.
SmartPro was specifically designed to meet the stringent hygienic requirements of the modern hatchery. With compartmentalized sensors, modular hatchers to prevent cross contamination, the incorporation of Microban® antibacterial protection into setter trays and hatcher baskets and integrated cooling pipes in anodized aluminium hatcher walls, the time required to clean the incubator thoroughly is the shortest in the industry.
Smart, clean and protected
- Modular hatcher control prevents cross contamination from older to younger batches, because eggs of different ages need not be mixed.
- Setter trays and hatcher baskets incorporate Microban® technology for the most effective, continuous antibacterial protection. Patented antimicrobial agent penetrates the cell wall of un welcome micro-organisms on contact, disrupting normal cell function to prevent the multiplication and spread of bacteria.
- SurroundCooling™ – integrated cooling pipes inside smoothwalled ‘food safe’ anodized aluminium hatcher wall panels significantly improve the effectiveness of cleaning, minimize the risk of cross contamination and greatly reduce cleaning time.
- Securely placed and compartmentalized sensors in central operating console allow for high pressure cleaning without risking damage to sensors.
- All surfaces, fixings and finishes are designed to resist the ingress of moisture and bacteria, preventing the creation of dirt traps.
With a focus on delivering environmentally friendly incubation, the CFD-designed and highly effective Vortex™, together with high efficiency motors, dramatically reduces electrical consumption. Adaptive Metabolic Feedback™ (AMF™) technology actively controls ventilation, to use only the specific amount of fresh air necessary. Together with the Energy Saving Module (ESM™) for metabolism-based RPM control, the use of fossil fuels and electricity are reduced to the lowest possible levels, which translate into significantly reduced operation costs.
Eco-friendly, cost-efficient incubation
- ESM Energy Saving module makes the RPM of the Vortex™ air pump fully programmable – derived from embryonic metabolism rates – to reduce energy consumption by more than 60% in specific phases of embryonic development.
- AMF guards against unnecessary or excessive ventilation.
- Vortex air pump blades and high-efficiency motors prevent energy loss by optimising energy exchange in the incubator.
- Smart PID control delivers greatest accuracy to date in predicting heating and cooling for each incubator section, to avoid expensive overshoots.
- Fully sealed cabinet, including airtight 3-lock door system and seamless ‘Hotmelt’ panels with maximum insulation value, designed to prevent energy leakage.