WinDias - Image Analysis System
From Leaf Area
The WinDIAS system offers specialised image analysis features suitable for a wide range of applications in the plant sciences. It is specially suited to applications that need high colour discrimination, for example in plant pathology. It provides a full set of measurement statistics, and can process up to 800 leaves per hour using the conveyor belt option. The WinDIAS components include a choice of high resolution colour USB video cameras with a lightbox and overhead lighting rig to ensure good contrast and colour rendition, or alternatively an A4 scanner with excellent depth of field. For reporting and further analysis, all results and images from WinDIAS are easily exchanged with other Windows applications.
- Plant pathology
- Agronomy and plant physiology
- Crop protection
- Object counting
Rapid thresholding: Three thresholds can be set, each based on a different user-defined range of colours. The primary threshold is used for the main zones of interest in the image, e.g. healthy areas. The secondary and tertiary thresholds are used for other zones, e.g. diseased areas. Thresholds are set by a simple point and click with the mouse in a region of interest. The areas included are immediately visible as overlays on the image.
Editing: Images can be edited on‑screen to retouch boundaries, separate objects that overlap, remove undesirable 'noise' and holes, add or erase lines or rectangles, and fill bounded areas in any colour.
Measurement: WinDIAS analyses the thresholded regions to measure area, perimeter, length, width, circularity, elongation and shape factor. A correction factor can be applied to estimate the surface area (of pine needles for example) from the projected area. Calibration is carried out against a ruler.
Object count: Seeds, needles, or other small objects can be quickly counted by WinDIAS. Colour thresholding enables easy discrimination of different types of object, or disease spots. Dust and debris can be excluded by defining a minimum object area.
Exchange of data and images: WinDIAS imports images in .bmp, .jpg and .tif formats, and results can be saved as .txt files for easy import into Exce
WinDIAS System Choices
WinDIAS is modular and expandable - researchers can specify a system that suits their particular requirements:
- WinDIAS 3 Entry Level System
- The Entry Level System includes the scanner and WinDIAS software only
- WinDIAS 3 Standard System
- Includes USB colour video camera, camera stand, lightbox, overhead lighting rig and WinDIAS software
- WinDIAS 3 Rapid System
- This complete system includes a camera capable of accurately imaging moving objects, all the other Standard System components plus the conveyor belt
Features and advantages
- The Entry Level System enables the full set of analysis features and can be used at very high resolution up to A4 size, but is slow – it may take ~1 minute to scan and analyse each image at higher resolutions.
- The standard system enables full analysis of static images illuminated by lightbox or overhead lights, typically 2 or 3 images per minute. The Standard System camera has excellent resolution at 2048 x 1536 pixels but cannot be used for moving images.
- A powerful and complete system capable of very rapid area measurement of ~800 leaves/hr on the conveyor belt, analysing long leaves, and full colour analysis of static objects. The Rapid System camera has good resolution at 1280 x 1024 pixels.