From Agriculture Services
The process at CambridgeHOK begins with establishing exactly what the client needs and wants from the structure- including its purpose, the size and the shape to suit their area of land. The choice of frame and the structure is then designed to suit the requirements, whilst remaining within budgetary limits. There are different types of frame used when constructing agricultural buildings- including a portal frame, a propped portal frame and a mono-pitch.
- Portal frames are generally low-rise structures, comprising of columns and horizontal or pitched rafters, connected by moment-resisting connections. This form of continuous frame structure is stable in its plane and provides a clear span that is unobstructed by bracing. Portal frames are very common, in fact 50% of constructional steel used in the UK is in portal frame construction. They are very efficient for enclosing large areas, making them a suitable choice for agricultural purposes.
- A propped portal frame can be used when the span of a portal frame is large and there is no requirement to provide a clear span. This reduces the steel sizes and also the horizontal shear at the foundations.
- A mono-pitch frame is usually chosen due to its proximity to other buildings or for small spans (up to 15m span). It is a simple variation of the pitched roof portal frame.
When consulting with CambridgeHOK the client is guaranteed first class service. The process is as follows:
- Initial enquiry
- Free quotation from CambridgeHOK
- Structural calculations
- A 3D structural detail and design
- In-house manufacture by our experienced workforce
- On-site erection
CambridgeHOK is happy to work with the client to provide as little, or as much, as the client requires. Whether it’s a steel frame fabricated for self erection or a complete building with all electrics, CambridgeHOK is happy to help.
CambridgeHOK have worked with Yorkshire Dairy goats, the biggest goat milk supplier in the UK with sites across East Yorkshire, including Seaton Ross and Hull. This build consisted of the manufacture of a wide span portal frame structure, roofing and cladding. We have also worked with Wilson and Sons to build a portal frame structure with a hydro-swing door provided from the US.