Segra - Genotyping Services
Currently, Segra has built and outfitted a new genomics and molecular biology laboratory and is in the final stages of commercialization. This will revolutionize the levels of quality and standardization achievable by cannabis producers looking to maximize yields and profitability. Our new laboratory will support Segra’s pending ACMPR (Canadian) production operations and cannabis tissue culture production operations, but can also provide services for external clients.
Functions of the Genomics Laboratory
Segra’s genomics facility will be able provide multiple services of value to Cannabis growers and seed banks, as well as other agricultural/ natural products industrial clients:
The Genotyping laboratory will be used to support the following classes of activities:
- Provide strain identification capacity on incoming and outgoing Cannabis strain stock materials – verification that valuable strain stock materials are as advertised;
- Assist in best-in-class environmental detection and control of plant pathogens and other microbial and fungal pests which when undetected lead to costly crop losses – earlier detection of pathogens and pests means better cost effectiveness of production and better return on investment of resources;
- Strain standardization and genetic drift monitoring services. Allows detection of drift and indicate when stock strain materials/tissue culture plantlets should be re-established to ensure product consistency;
- During crop breeding and master stock/tissue culture cultivation, detect plant gender at early seedling stages to allowing culling of unwanted male plants – allow focus of resources on valuable female producing plants at a much earlier stage of growth than traditional methods, ensuring cost effectiveness of production;
- Analyze seed stock from crosses at early seedling stages for critical genetic markers of mature plant traits such as chemotype profile for Bt/Bd locus (CBD vs THC production levels) – save months of time required by non-genetics based methods in identification and selection of the plants with most desirable characteristics;
- Essential for the development of Marker Assisted Selection practices allowing for much faster selective breeding of strains with pre-selected desirable traits – custom breed plants for a target use or audience, years faster than traditional “cross, breed, score at maturity” methods now in use; and
- Non-cannabis agricultural genomics and strain assurance. Other, non-cannabis industrial scale agriculture programs have already expressed desire to purchase strain identification and strain assurance services.
Segra to date has:
- Hired scientific and technical personnel with the highly specialized knowledge and experience to competently provide the services described;
- Established and performed successful initial validation of computational methods used in converting raw genetic fingerprint data to usable strain identifications;
- Performed exhaustive reviews of all pertinent scientific literature and identified best methods and method refinements for cannabis genetic fingerprinting;
- Identified and obtained all required laboratory equipment for initial laboratory function;
- Outfitted a laboratory space and currently in the commercialization process; and
- Established contacts in cannabis and non-cannabis agricultural space with prospective clients for services.