Monitoring, Control and Surveillance (MCS) Services
Poseidon has a huge amount of expertise in the field of Monitoring, Control and Surveillance. Work has included projects in the UK and EU countries, and around the world. We have developed numerous NPOAs on IUU fisheries and assisted countries in complying with the EU IUU regulation, have reviewed and advised on national MCS strategies and practices, and have evaluated projects and programmes financing MCS improvements.
Using a practical and results-based approach we can advise on:
- the economic arguments for improved management.
- the strengths and weaknesses of the management system.
- the deterrent effects of penalties and the benefits of fisheries fraud.
- any constraints in the legal framework and the application of law.
- risk analysis to identify critical control points.
- deployment strategies over time using cost efficiency analysis.
- the benefits of transport and factory inspections, and the use of forensic accounting.
- potential benefits of improved information technology.
- the setting of MCS targets and inspection benchmarks.
- necessary institutional reform.
- inspection protocols and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Memorandums of Understanding between different agencies involved in inspection activities.