Northern Hemisphere Consultant
Ian Angus is the 6th generation of a family involved in professional horticulture spending the first 25 years of his career in senior management of large hydroponic salad crop production businesses in the UK and Mexico. He then moved into the technology sector of horticulture working with several major controls, automation and irrigation companies in the UK, the Netherlands and the USA to deliver appropriate solutions for clients worldwide. Spending over two years as Chief Operating Officer at HortiMaX USA Inc. (formerly QCOM Corp), a horticultural technology business in California, he gained further experience in an international environment. He has operated a Technical Consulting practice since 1993 working with international clients including World Bank/IFC, Banco Mex and commercial horticultural enterprises in Mexico, Kenya, USA, Chile and Eire. Ian was a key member of the team that delivered the world’s first Vertical Growing System installed at Paignton Zoo, Devon.
- Hertfordshire College of Agriculture and Horticulture – Attained Ordinary National Diploma in Commercial Horticulture (Glasshouse Crop production) – with Distinction.
- City and Guilds of London Institute – Certificate in Horticulture (Stage One) Machinery – with Distinction.
- Agricultural Training Board – (one week residential courses) Effective Supervision, Instructional Techniques, Man Management.
- Member of Institute of Horticulture.
- Founder Director of Lincolnshire and Humberside Agricultural Training Board.
- Design, specification, installation, support and training for all types of horticultural control and automation systems, process control systems and irrigation/fertigation systems.
- Extensive technical experience and working understanding of MS Windows based systems and equipment, computer networking and data communications.
- Electrical system design, specification, installation and support, including control panel design and manufacture.
- Design, specification, installation and support of energy systems, including coal, biomass, oil, gas and digestion based.
- Design, specification, installation and support of horticultural pack houses, food processing and associated equipment.
- Design, specification and installation of horticultural lighting systems utilising dedicated software simulation to determine optimum luminaire layout.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD and AutoSketch design software packages.
- In depth knowledge of vertical growing systems, hydroponic, aeroponic and aquaponic growing systems and associated equipment.
- Extensive experience in the production and marketing of horticultural crops.
- Good understanding of Health and Safety issues relating to the development of horticultural projects. Having previously been responsible for Health and Safety Policy, Risk Assessments and Method Statements.
- Education and training relating to horticulture and technical equipment.
Examples of System Design and Project Management:
- UK – design and installation of first commercial vertical growing system, including on-going support.
- Chile – design and installation of complete climate control, irrigation and fertigation systems for large hydroponic tomato grower.
- India – responsible for the development of several high technology rose growing businesses all which included turnkey electrical and control systems and irrigation/fertigation. Developed new dealer network throughout India.
- Mexico – development of ‘green field’ hydroponics growing operation including such things as site design, glasshouse procurement, heating system design and computerised monitoring.
- China – turnkey project for Ministry of Forestry including greenhouses, heating/cooling systems, irrigation/fertigation systems and crop management systems.
- Republic of Ireland – turnkey glasshouse project for major producer of potted herbs for supply to supermarkets. Included design, development, installation and commissioning of complete project to handover to the client. On-going consultancy involvement to provide online technical support to the management team.
- USA – design, installation and commissioning of sophisticated automatic irrigation for Monsanto Research facilities in Madison, Wisconsin and Mystic, Connecticut.
- East Africa – design, installation and support of new irrigation/fertigation systems for large rose growing operations.
- Oman – responsible for successful tender for the design and build of the new Oman Botanic Garden Nursery Project. Project management of the complete installation from the ground works to point of handover to the client.
- General – extensive international travel to design, develop, project manage and support high tech horticultural operations for wide range of crop types. Close cooperation with local suppliers and technicians to ensure efficient project delivery.