From Principal Software
SAWSIM is a flexible computer program that accurately models the breakdown of logs in any sawmill. With over 30 years of development, SAWSIM is widely recognized as the industry-standard sawmill simulation program. Using SAWSIM, virtually any question about sawmill operations can be answered. Typical applications include evaluation of mill design or modification proposals, alternative mill equipment options, and overall production planning and analysis. SAWSIM can process actual-shape logs with crook, sweep, ovality, and variable taper. Solutions are calculated individually for each log, based on its particular geometry. SAWSIM will print end view and 3d log plots, detailed results for each log that is sawn, and 'Totals and Averages' to show results, including the overall lumber product distribution, for a distribution of logs that typically represent a complete shift's production.
Specific features of the SAWSIM® program allow simulation of the following:
- Optimum or manual bucking of stems.
- Production of many lumber sizes with different wane rules for different products.
- Different saw kerfs and target sizes for different machines.
- Any type of log & cant positioning, including full-taper, half-taper, 'centering roll', etc, and imperfect log rotation prior to sawing.
- Curve sawing.
- Edger, trimmer, and cant optimizers, plus ability to account for imperfect manual edging, manual trimming, and other sources of mismanufacture.
- Different grade regions can be defined in the log, and the volumes of different lumber grades produced by different sawing policies can be determined.
- Specification of products by vertical grain, flat grain, mixed grain, heart center, and free of heart center, and production from the appropriate position in the log.
- Many other features allow simulation of virtually any mill layout and breakdown policy.
- The output starts with Totals and Averages for the run, followed by a sample of results for individual logs. By printing this report for alternative scenarios for the same logs, and laying the reports out side-by-side, users are able to compare the overall results, and then see how the differences arise from the results for individual logs.
- Reports can also be generated which show results for each log class separately.
- Note that in both these examples, lumber volumes are in board feet and log volumes are in cubic feet. SAWSIM® is also able to calculate lumber volumes in cubic metres, and log volumes in a variety of other units, including cubic metres and various dialects of Scribner board feet.
- The second set of reports was generated in Excel by HalcoMiner™ from MS Access database files generated by SAWSIM®, and then saved as an html file.
- SAWSIM® uses the HALTAB™ Data Management System for its input, output and other data management functions.