Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action
From On Site Training
The Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action (RCA/CA) course consists of presentations, discussions and exercises that provide participants with an in-depth understanding of how to analyze a system in order to identify the root causes of problems and to prevent them from recurring.
The course is intended for laboratory scientists, quality professionals and others responsible for troubleshooting technical problems; corrective action coordinators; managers, supervisors, team leaders, process owners, and anyone who wants to improve their ability to solve problems.
Participants will learn how to:
- Differentiate between remedial actions and root cause analysis
- Implement steps for carrying out effective root cause analysis
- Select from and apply various tools that support root cause analysis
- Support and critique root cause analyses carried out by others
- Implement and monitor appropriate corrective actions
There are no prerequisites, although familiarity with standard problem solving models (e.g. 5-Whys, Fishbone diagrams, ISO/IEC 17025 corrective actions, etc.) and various quality tools would be useful.
Students receive a copy of all the PowerPoint slides and exercises presented during the class.
Topics in the 1-day course include:
- Term Definitions
- Root Cause Summary
- Problem Solving Process
- Corrective Actions
- Thoughts about RCA & CARs
The course materials will be presented in an 'interactive' lecture style (50%), as well using application exercises and role playing (50%).