Agroroff significantly decreases bird damage to their crops - Case Study
- ocation: Fundo Marquesa, Marquesa, Vicuña. IV Región de Coquimbo, Chile
- Application context: Red Globe table grapes
- Problem definition: Birds attacking people and eating the grapes
- Bird species: Sparrows (Passeridae) and Chilean thrushes (Turdae)
- Time of the year with bird problems: January – April
- Time of the day with bird problems: From dusk till dawn
- Number of systems: 2 x Agrilaser Autonomic 500 with solar panel
- In use since: January 2018
- Laser projection area: 40 hectares (98,84 acres)
- Damage per hectare before the Autonomics’ use: 12,5 % or 3,075 kg
- Damage reduction after the Autonomics’ use (%): >70 %
Agroroff decreases bird damage by 70% with automated laser bird repellent
Agroroff has 46 hectares of table grapes, the land is located in Marquesa, Vicuña, Coquimbo Region. The main part of their production is aimed for export. Growing good quality table grapes is a high priority for Agroroff. This became more challengeable to obtain when the farm started facing crop loss caused by birds. The loss they suffered was fluctuating between 5% and 25% depending on a year.
Agroroff couldn’t keep this happening anymore and immediately contacted BirdChile, partner of Bird Control Group, to install their bird laser systems. Agroroff trusted the systems based on the environmentally friendly solution and proven successful results.
Agroroff got two Agrilaser Autonomic systems installed powered by solar panels. The systems covered 40 hectares. The area of 6 hectares was remained unprotected due to some reasons.
Bernardo Romero, Administrator of Agroroff, has been working at Fundo Marquesa for 3 years and he shared his experience:
After the Autonomics’ installations we realised that in the first 20 days there was no damage to the crops, we actually saw birds but they did not eat the crops as they did in the previous years.
The unprotected area where Agrilaser Autonomic couldn’t reach had some damage compared to the protected area.
The Agrilaser helped us to decrease bird damage by about 70% and increase safety at the farm. Also BirdChile service was very good, we have got great help from them with no doubt.
Given the results obtained, without a doubt, I absolutely recommend this technology to any other grower.”
“The bird damage has always been very severe. It’s unbelievable that our crop loss is about 5% to 25% every year.”