In agriculture and forestry soil fertility is a decisive factor for the economic use of fields and forests.
Various factors, considered as a whole are the indicators which characterize the soil fertility.
Important parameters are e.g.: Intensity of precipitation, air temperature, air humidity, soil humidity, suction power and soil temperature in various depths.
The Evironmental Protection Office of the Canton Uri commissioned the installation of a monitoring test-site in the agricultural area of Seedorf under the leadership of OTT Hydrometrie AG to examine the benefit of monitoring and transmitting important parameters
Tasks of the station:
- Monitoring of intensity of precipitation, air temperature, air humidity, soil humidity, suction power and soil temperature in various depths
- Data transmission of measured values
- Alarm in case of exceeded limit values
- Solar-supplied station equipped with the OTT LogoSens data logger system
- Precipitation measurement with OTT Parsivel (optical laser method). Unlike conventional tipping bucket gauges the OTT Parsivel is a maintenance-free device.
- Measuring of suction power in var. depths
- Measuring of soil humidity in var. depths
- Measuring of soil temperature in var. depths
- Data transmission via GSM / SMS. Automatic data transmission once a day
- Up-to-date internet publication of data
Summary / Look-Out
The station proved to work successful.
Advantages of the station:
- Always available data as basis for decisions
- Active alarm management with little servicing requirement
- Automatic data monitoring and continuous transmission
- Internet publication of data and graphics for a broad public
- Absolute topicality of measured date thanks to recent transmission technology