- Background: Agricultural Scenario (2010-2050) & Crop Intensification Risks =>indiscriminate use of agrochemicals in rice paddy systems
- Overview FAO Intervention: Integrated Approach for Pesticide Risk Reduction
- Farmer Ecosystem-Literacy Education: Farmers Field School
- Case Study: Philippines: Sustainable Intensification of Rice Production
- Concluding Notes & Recommendations, with particular relevance to sustainable paddy & wetlands management
Global Context and FAO Intervention
- Sustainable Intensification of Agricultural Production, Food Safety and Trade Facilitation are major driving forces for government commitment towards pesticide risk reduction and IPM promotion.
The Challenge: Agricultural Scenario (2010-50)
- Global Population (2050): 9.2 billion people and twice as much food needed
- Declining water & land per caput (4.3 ha (1961) to 1.6 ha (2050))
- Lower productivity growth & production stress from climate change
- Rapid urbanization & change in consumption patterns
- Need to Intensify Crop Production and challenge to do so sustainably!