- Background: Agricultural Scenario (2010-2050) & Crop Intensification Risks =>indiscriminate use of agrochemicals in rice paddy systems
- Overview FAO Intervention: Integrated Approach for Pesticide Risk Reduction
- Farmer Ecosystem-Literacy Education: Farmers Field School
- Case Study: Philippines: Sustainable Intensification of Rice Production
- Concluding Notes & Recommendations, with particular relevance to sustainable paddy & wetlands management
Global Context and FAO Intervention
Sustainable Intensification of Agricultural Production, Food Safety and Trade Facilitation are major driving forces for government commitment towards pesticide risk reduction and IPM promotion.
The Challenge: Agricultural Scenario (2010-50)
- Global Population (2050): 9.2 billion people and twice as much food needed
- Declining water & land per caput (4.3 ha (1961) to 1.6 ha (2050))
- Lower productivity growth & production stress from climate change
- Rapid urbanization & change in consumption patterns
- Need to Intensify Crop Production and challenge to do so sustainably!