Acer Macrophyllum - Bigleaf Maple
A vigorous growing native maple tree that grows rapidly to 75-100 feet high and 50 feet wide. Named for its large leaves which are often as much as a foot across. Sometimes has brilliant yellow fall color. The dryer the summer, the prettier the fall color. Often found in the valleys near streams, creating abundant shade for the understory plants. Multi-stemmed plants are more the norm than a single stem plant. Even if cut for firewood (makes a good hard firewood) it will sprout again from the stump and make another large tree in a matter of a few years. Likes dry to moist sites with some sun.
- Plant type: Deciduous Tree
- Native or non-native: Native
- Sun & shade levels: Full Sun, Part Shade
- Soil conditions: Very Dry, Dry, Moist & Well-Drained
- Upland/wetland ratings: FACU-Usually found in upland
- Yearly Height, Width: 3 ft., 2 ft.
- Ten Year Height, Width: 25 ft., 20 ft.
- Matured Height, Width: 100 ft., 50 ft.