Joraform - Model JK 270 - Jora Compost Tumbler
Material: Insulation: 2.16 inch polyethylene plastic, Panels: Galvanized and painted steel. Stand: Galvanized steel.
- Weight: Approx 86 lbs
- Volume: 9,5 cubic feet (70 gallons)
- Dimensions: 44,5”L, 28” W, 50” H
- Capacity: 6-8 Gal/week
- Suitable for: Larger households 4 per and more, B&Bs, small restaurants, kindergartens, care homes, etc
- Carrier: UPS (UPS ground)
- Shipping Rate: $95.00 flat shipping fee
- Shipping time: 1-5 days
- Product Condition: Shipped unassembled
- Assembly time: 60 min
- Assembly Instructions: In box, can be downloaded on website
The Joraform Composters - your own ecological revolution!
The Joraform range of composters are, without a doubt, the the most effective and efficient kitchen waste composters in the world. The Compost tumblers were designed in Sweden in
As European countries adopt similar rules, the Joraform Composters proven technology is helping householders reduce both the burden of waste on landfill sites and trash collection charges, while at the same time turning kitchen waste into nutritious compost that's ready for use on the garden in just a few weeks.response to tough recycling regulations and have been used successfully by households throughout Scandinavia for many years to compost all kitchen waste, including cooked food and meat products. Many are also in use in schools and kindergartens, where they make a good educational tool for young students.
In Sweden, the JK 270 was tested and evaluated in a project comprising 466 households in smal
l houses, apartment blocks and kindergartens. The Swedish Authority for Environment Conservation judged the performance of the machines 'most satisfactory'.
Features & Benefits:
- Insulated properties allows the temperature inside the tumbler to rise higher than 160o
- Dual chambers and dual doors
- Capacity of up to 106 gallons, 13-21 gallons a week
- Attractive design
- High variety of compostable material
- Reduces and eliminates odors
- Made out of galvanized steel for longer sustainability
- Air is allowed into the mixture, providing the oxygen vital for the process
- The JK Composters are constructed for ease and simplicity of rotation
With a Joraform Composter, you don't need to be a handy gardener to be able to produce your own nutritious compost.
The JK125, 270 and 400 let you make perfect compost from your kitchen waste hygienically and quickly, with minimal fuss and mess.
These are typical results from the Joraform Composter. We produced this during the winter when temperatures got down to below 20oF. It took us about 4 weeks to fill one compartment, which was then 'maturing' for a further 4 weeks while the other was filled - a total of 8 weeks from starting to fill with kitchen waste into its transformation into the material you see above. During the summer the process will only take about 6 weeks. This compost needs no further finishing and can be applied directly onto the garden as a soil improver or mulch. It has the same nutritional value as cow manure.
Easy to Rotate
Regular mixing is necessary for successful composting for two reasons:
- Fresh waste is brought into direct contact with decaying waste, increasing the efficiency of the process
- Air is allowed into the mixture, providing the oxygen that is vital for the process
The JK125/270/JK400 Composters are constructed for ease and simplicity of rotation, the center axle makes it easy to turn. It's simply turned by hand whenever waste is put in.
Highly Insulated For High Heat
The composting process generates heat and the different micro-organisms start working at different temperatures. The insulation in the JK Composters allow the temperatures to rise higher than 160oF, resulting in the quickest and most efficient composting of your kitchen waste. At these temperatures the process is so rapid that fresh waste starts to break down before it has a chance to rot and attract vermin or flies.
Because of its integral insulation, the JK 125/270/400 will continue working through winter, long after other composters have stopped working completely.
Dual Compartments for Continuous Composting
The JK125/270/400 are divided into two compartments. While one is being filled, the compost in the other chamber matures. Once the compartment being filled can take no more, the mature compost is emptied from the other compartment, and the cycle begins again.
You can see from the photo that it is time to begin filling the compost from the right-hand compartment and leaving the left-hand compartment to continue composting to maturity. When the right-hand compartment is full, it's time to empty the left compartment and receive good fertilizer for your garden.
Rodent-Proof and Durable Design
The JK 125/270/400 Composters are positioned off the ground so that there is no possibility of rodents or other pests gaining access to the waste in the machine.
How does it work?
Composting with the JK Composters is done in 3 simple steps:
- Put your kitchen waste into one of the chambers.(remember, always work one chamber a time) Note that the waste should be added to the unit frequently in smaller quantities..Add wood pellets into the chamber, rule of thumb is 10 % wood pellets per volume of kitchenwaste. You can also use sawdust or Coir (coconut fibre) If you use wood pellets you are goingto add less than sawdust because of the absorbing skill. Wood pellets etc. is also a good carbon source that's important for the process.
- Turn the tumbler at least one time. Rotating draws fresh air in to the tumbler which is super important for good results and a fast composting level. Air also prevents bad smells and most importantly mixture the new kitchen waste with the old composted one.
- After decomposition, open the lid and empty the compost. This nutritious soil can be used as a fertilizer in your garden. Simply spread it over your lawn, plant it with trees and flowers and see your plants and garden grow.