Parvocalanus crassirostris is a small, pelagic calanoid copepod. The nauplii (newly hatched larvae) are small measuring in the 40-100 µm range, making them a suitable feed for small-gape fish larvae. Adults are in the 200 to 400 µm range.
Due to longterm shipping conditions for international customers, we can only ship the nauplii (≤ 100 µm) because the animals are more durable at this life stage and shipment transit time must not exceed 5 days.
- Good source of antioxidants and Vitamins C and E
- The movements of copepods and their nauplii trigger the feeding responses in larval fish
- This species is being used in marine ornamental aquaculture as well as large-scale finish aquaculture
- It has been successfully used as a first prey item to culture species of snapper, grouper, yellowtail, seahorses, pipefish, dwarf angelfish and many others
- The use of copepods as a first feed has been associated with a decrease in fish malpigmentation and deformity