Feed and Forage Testing Service
Good forage sampling techniques are crucial when evaluating forage or hay quality. Here are a few guidelines to follow in order to obtain the accurate forage test you are looking for.
- Use a forage probe to take your sample
- Sample each field or stack that is to be sold as a unit
- Each unit should be probed 20 times in a random manner completely around the unit (one per harobed load for starters). Bales should be probed horizontally centered in the end of the bale
- Combine all cores and mix thoroughly in a plastic bag
- Identify the sample bag and fill out the Soiltest Feed Test Request Form
- Keep bags cool and out of the sun and take to laboratory for analysis