Ontario Sheep Health Program Services
The program is comprised of 3 parts to be completed annually:
- Evaluation of Flock Health Management
- Evaluation of Biosecurity
- Evaluation of Productivity and Goal Setting
- Previously Quality Assurance was a component of the program but it is now a part of the Canadian Food Safe Farm Practices Program.
You may download all the forms from this site to see what is required. To qualify for official status with the Ontario Sheep Health program, you need to do the following annually:
- Download and print all the forms (pdf) from all the pages within this web site.
- Follow the Instructionsas per 'Instructions_OSHP' form. A Checklist of all required forms and which copies are to be sent to OSMA and which are to be retained by the producer and vet is included in 'Checklist_OSHP'.
- Contact your flock veterinarian to schedule a visit of approximately 2 hrs duration.
- PRIOR TO THE VISIT - FOR FIRST TIME APPLICANTS:
- As a minimum - fill out the required goals section of the 'FP_Prod&Calc_OSHP ' form. You are encouraged to also calculate productivity but it is not mandatory the first year. One copy is retained by you, one by your vet and one signed copy is sent to OSMA (mandatory).
- PRIOR TO THE VISIT - FOR THOSE PREVIOUSLY IN THE PROGRAM:
- As a minimum - fill out the required productivity calculations and goal setting section (indicated with an 'R') of the 'FP_Prod&Calc_OSHP ' form. Use the ' FP_Data_OSHP ' to make it easier to enter the information. Or if you wish, use the MS Excel spreadsheet ' OSHP_productivity_calculation'. You are encouraged to complete sections marked 'O' (optional) as well as the forms divided by breeding group, if you have more than one breeding group on your farm.
- DURING THE FLOCK VISIT - WITH YOUR FLOCK VETERINARIAN:
- FLOCK HEALTH MANAGEMENT SECTION:
- Work through the Flock Health Management assessment form (Flock_Health_Assessment_OSHP) and identify those areas that require improvement and set a strategy with your vet to achieve improvement. Keep a copy for yourself and one for your veterinarian. Have your vet complete the Flock Health Summary report (Flock_Health_Summary_Report_OSHP). One copy is kept by you for your records, one copy to your vet and one signed copy is sent to the Ontario Sheep Marketing Agency (mandatory).
- BIOSECURITY SECTION:
- Work through the Biosecurity assessment form (Biosecurity_Assessment_OSHP) with your vet and discuss how to change your management to lower the risk of introduction of disease and disease transmission within your farm. Have your vet complete the Biosecurity Status report (Biosecurity_Status_Report_OSHP). One copy is retained by you, one by your vet and one signed copy is sent to the Ontario Sheep Marketing Agency (mandatory).
- PRODUCTIVITY SECTION:
- Using either the FP_Prod&Calc form or the Excel version, discuss with your vet how to reach the goals that you have set. This discussion may also be part of the flock health management section. One copy of either the form or the spreadsheet to be retained by you, one to your vet and one signed copy to the Ontario Sheep Marketing Agency (mandatory).
- At the end of the visit, the veterinarian completes the summary report (OSHP_Summary_Report). Again, you retain a copy as does your vet and one signed copy (along with a signed copy each of the FP-Calc&Goals, Flock Health Summary Report and Biosecurity Summary Report) and is sent to to the Ontario Sheep Marketing Agency (mandatory).