Veteran Trees Surveys & Management
Veteran trees provide an abundance and continuity of specialist habitats for plant, insect and animal species, particularly in relation to dead wood. Landowners have a duty of care to protect the habitats of species designated for conservation priority.
Our highly experienced and efficient tree surveyors undertake surveys ranging from detailed individual tree inspections to inventories of large populations of trees (typically 5,000 to 50,000+).
Treework Environmental Practice have extensive experience in surveying and assessing veteran trees and have been instrumental in the development of methods for evaluating veteran tree habitat and viability.
Treework Environmental Practice were commissioned by English Nature to design a national standard for surveying veteran trees. This system is known as the Specialist Survey Method (SSM) and has been adopted by The National Trust, local authorities and The Woodland Trust, amongst others.
Our highly experienced and efficient tree surveyors undertake surveys ranging form detailed individual tree inspections to inventories of populations numbering 50,000+ trees.
- Individual detailed tree inspections
- Assessments of habitat provided by individual veteran trees
- Assessment of signs of plant, insect and animal species associated with veteran trees
- Assessment of tree viability
- Assessment of tree risk
- Prescription of targeted veteran tree works specifications for long-term management
- Quantification of fallen and standing deadwood (using the Line Transect Method)
- Trees plotted onto GIS or using GPS/Laser
- Data in a range of standard digital formats for integration in database management systems and GIS
- Analyses and reports on findings
- Maps of tree positions with legends for easy identification of tree characteristics
- Easy to read schedules of survey data
- Prioritised works schedules
- Works orders
- Archiving of completed work
- Assessment of implications for future policy
- Overview of the veteran tree population viability
Treework Environmental Practice also provides the following veteran tree management services:
- Formulation of tree safety policy and / or strategy
- Continued tree management
- Tender Preparation
- Training in veteran tree surgery techniques
- Contract administration and management of veteran tree surgery work
- Environmental assessments