Agricultural Engineers Association (AEA)
The AEA was established in 1875 to promote the technical, trade and commercial interests of British manufacturers and suppliers of agricultural machinery. The AEA is a non-for-profit organisation which strives to “put back” into industry as well as representing and supporting our members’ needs. The AEA is heavily engaged in the skills programmes for our sector, in UK-wide engineering and manufacturing initiatives and in working to combat issues such as theft and legislative non-compliance. Our Councils for both the Farm Equipment sector and the Outdoor Power Equipment sector both meet three times a year. Our Board of Directors meets once a quarter to ensure the transparency and rationality of our financial plans.
Find locations served, office locations, manufacturers and our distributors.
- Business Type:
- Nonprofit organization (NPO)
- Industry Type:
- Market Focus:
- Nationally (across the country)
- Year Founded:
Since then we have championed the cause of manufacturers of agricultural machinery and more recently outdoor power equipment.
Today our members cover a broad spectrum of manufacturers of land based equipment from combine harvesters to secateurs.
Our special interest groups include the Manufacturers’ Group; the Training and Education Committee; the Chemical Applications Group; the Sprayer Testing Group; Service Managers Group and All-Terrain Vehicle Group. These meet at regular intervals to ensure references and discussions are up to date with current issues and sufficient and relevant actions take place.
The Technical Committees meet regularly to inform and guide the organisation and members on policy, standards, regulation and all areas technical.
Our events and exhibition committees for the Tillage-Live and ScotGrass working demos oversee these and any other AEA shows.
The AEA’s constitutional objectives are set out as below. In a nutshell we aim to add value to our members’ business via a wide range of services and in the safeguarding and promotion of their interests.
- Offering networking opportunities
- Market information
- Expert technical advice
- Access to industry related training and forums
- We are also a key player at national level and in Europe, representing members’ needs and influencing policy. In today’s world of Brexit and changing trade and national policy, our role is even more critical.
- To safeguard and promote the interests of manufacturers and wholesale distributors
- To promote, support or oppose legislation or other measures affecting the interests of the industry
- To co-operate and negotiate with Government and other bodies interested or concerned in export and import trade
- To promote, maintain and assist scientific research, invention and technical development
- To co-operate with Associations, Clubs, Societies and other bodies in promoting, conducting or managing shows, exhibitions and demonstrations
Find out more throughout the site or contact us for more information about joining.
The AEA was established in 1875 to promote the commercial, technical and trade interests of British manufacturers and suppliers of agricultural machinery and equipment.
The three key figures involved were Robert Ransome (Ransomes, Ipswich), Joseph Shuttleworth (Clayton & Shuttleworth, Lincoln) and Robert Fowler (John Fowler & Co, Leeds).
The association’s first meeting was held on 2nd November 1875 at the Westminster Palace Hotel, London where Bernhard Samuelson (Samuelson & Co) was elected as the first President.
In 1883, an annual dinner was introduced (later being held in conjunction with the Agricultural Machinery Dealers’ Association, which was formed in 1899) but, for whatever reason, although the individual members continued to make frequent technical advances in the equipment they produced, by the end of the century the Association’s profile, in the press at least, seems to have reduced.
At the annual meeting in 1921, AEA President P. W. Robson (Clayton & Shuttleworth) estimated the value of equipment sold by its 61 members in the home market to be at least £0.5 million.
The AEA also begun to take an interest in improvement in machinery design as progress in this was slow and much of the research being carried out by institutes and colleges at that time was regarded as unprofessional.
In 1946 there were 78 full members plus 136 associates and affiliates but a decade later this had risen to 136 full members along with 21 associates. Over the same period the AEA’s income increased from £2,592 to £22,769, although this was partly due to an additional source – in 1956 almost £6,000 came from the AEA’s share of Smithfield Show profits.
During this post-war period the AEA extended it’s membership to include American companies. Representatives from companies, including Massey-Harris and International Harvester, joined the Council and by 1957 committees were re-organised from covering individual product types to pre-harvest, harvest and post-harvest equipment, tractors and horticultural kit. The core work of the Association, however, was through its committees dealing with home affairs, NFU consultation, dealer relationship, shows, cost investigation, shipping, transport and, increasingly, export affairs.
During this period the number of associate members rose sharply, as tyre manufacturers, diesel engine producers and component makers saw the need to forge links with the machinery giants.
In 1958 the AEA became a founder member of CEMA, the European umbrella organisation for Agricultural Machinery Associations, giving British companies an opportunity for involvement with European trade affairs. CEMA’s first General Assembly was hosted by the AEA at the Park Lane Hotel, London, on 10th July 1959. The AEA is still a member of CEMA today.
In 1988 the AEA formed an Outdoor Power and Equipment sector. The same year as the lease for the offices at 6 Buckingham Gate was sold and purpose built-premises purchased in Peterborough. Subsequently, the British Lawnmowers Federation (BLMF) was incorporated and the British All-Terrain Vehicle Association (BATVA) also.
The AEA moved to it’s currently location at 62 Forder Way, Hampton, Peterborough with the building being officially opened on 25th June 2008 by the Princess Royal.
On Ruth Bailey joined the AEA and became the new Director General and Chief Executive Officer for the Association.
Today the AEA is made up of over 140 full, associate and affiliate members with Chris Cooper, Hayter Ltd, as the current AEA president.