AWiA was founded on February 14, 1993 and has grown quickly to a national body. Membership reflects all those involved and interested in a positive future for Australian agriculture. They come from all states and represent the diversity of agricultural Australia, including, Farmers, Researchers, Scientists,Educators,Students,Consultants and,Service providers.Members bring a wealth of talents to the organisation and to agriculture.
AWiA was founded on February 14, 1993 and has grown quickly to a national body. Membership reflects all those involved and interested in a positive future for Australian agriculture. They come from all states and represent the diversity of agricultural Australia, including
- Consultants and
- Service providers.
Members bring a wealth of talents to the organisation and to agriculture.
We are represented on and converse with State and National government and at local levels whereever industry and rural issues are addressed.
AWiA is a supportive network of like-minded women. Members benefit from the recognition and strength that comes with being part of this leading organisation representing Australian women in agriculture and their diverse views.
AWiA is focussed on connecting Australia’s agricultural women and providing the means for their participation at all levels of decision making.
Training and mentoring in capacity building, decision making, leadership, trade, industry development, corporate governance, and succession planning are some of the associated areas of focus.
In February 1992, Victorian women met to discuss how they might form a state-wide organisation for women in agriculture. The outcome was on an organisation that could provide recognition of women as farmers, break down isolation and encourage access to decision making both behind and beyond the farm gate. We set out to connect women across Victoria. The concept proved too big for a couple of state boundaries and soon we had members from across the nation. Together they began to fulfill our prime commitment to unite and raise the profile of agricultural women. Australian Women in Agriculture Ltd (AWiA) is a company limited by guarantee.
Australian Women in Agriculture is committed to promoting the advancement of women in agriculture by:
- Uniting and raising the profile of women in agriculture,
- Addressing rural and agricultural inequities,
- Working to ensure the survival of agriculture for future generations,
- Securing local, regional and international recognition,
- Achieving the status of a political and economic force.
AWiA core values are;
- Caring for people, the environment, rural families and communities,
- Ensuring the viability of future agricultural production,
- Respecting the culture, beliefs and philosophies of other people,
- Communicating to enable women to share their experience and develop effective networks,
- Providing leadership to facilitate change in the community