HALCO Software Systems Ltd.
HALCO Software`s business is computer simulation and off-line optimization of forest industry operations. We have helped many clients to maximize profits through better capital investment and operating decisions. We provide software that clients can run themselves, or consulting services that help them make use of our software, or both. Over the years we have licensed software to, and conducted consulting studies for, hundreds of clients in North America, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Brazil, South Africa, France and Ireland.
Find locations served, office locations, manufacturers and our distributors.
- Business Type:
- Software vendor
- Industry Type:
- Market Focus:
- Globally (various continents)
- Year Founded:
This company also provides solutions for other industrial applications.
Please, visit the following links for more info:
- HALCO Software Systems Ltd. is located in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- The Company has four principals: Howard Leach, Brad Turner, Tim Sargeant and Alex Rapoport. These principals have a combined forest-industry experience of over 100 years.
- All of our analysts have some industry experience prior to joining HALCO.
- In addition, we currently have a team of three professional software developers, who have been with HALCO between 12 and 21 years.
- HALCO and SAWSIM names are well recognized. SAWSIM has been used in hundreds of studies worldwide.
- We have a proven track record in the solid wood and fibre supply sector.
- We have the expertise to provide the best knowledge-based solutions to the forest products industry.
- As a company we believe in attention to detail and are dedicated to getting things right. We develop theoretical models of operations, and calibrate them against test and operating results.
- We believe in strict ethical behaviour, and that the interests of our clients and employees must come first. We focus on offering value to our clients. In this way our own interests will be served best.
- HALCO was founded in 1988, but our history goes back much further – to H.A.Leach and Company Ltd., which was founded in 1970 – 40 years ago!
- Howard Leach, the founder of HALCO, is a chemical engineer who developed his computer programming and optimization skills working for IBM and Imperial Chemical Industries in England. There he developed a linear programming model of a huge oil and petrochemical complex.
- He began applying his computer programming and optimization skills to the North American forest industry in 1968. He started to develop the SAWSIM program in 1970, as a means of calculating lumber yields for optimization purposes. The initial development was to simulate sawing of large logs with crook, sweep and variable taper, for a variety of products on a carriage-type headrig. Quite a challenge at the time! The program was soon used to show the potential benefits of optical scanning systems, and better log bucking and alignment in machines. SAWSIM has been continuously updated since then, to reflect changes in technology and operating practices in the industry.
- After founding HALCO in 1988, Howard was joined by Tim Sargeant and Brad Turner and later, by Alex Rapoport, as principals, and the company developed from there. In the 1990's, much of our development was directed to the simulation of woodlands and panel operations, to allow us to provide integrated analysis of operations from the forest to logs, through to finished products.