John Brown of Weare, NH has worked in land clearing and vegetation management since the 1950’s. His first contracts were transmission line clearing for local utilities (power lines), starting in New Hampshire, then on to Maine, Connecticut, Vermont, and New York as his reputation for quality work and high productivity grew. The Brontosaurus land clearing mulching head met this challenge – as word spread, John patented his system and set up a subsidiary, J.C.B. Leasing, to manufacture and market the Bronto forestry and brush clearing attachment throughout North America and beyond. Presently John Brown & Sons operates over 30 Brontosaurus Mowers and other land clearing equipment in central New England as well as central and south Florida, and clear and/or maintain thousands of acres per year.
In the 1970’s, his company diversified into high volume herbicide applications for electric and pipeline ROW’s. On selling this business in the early – mid 1980’s, he focused on commercial land clearing, and turned his attention to inventing the Brontosaurus land clearing system. John foresaw the decline in herbicide use, especially in the Northeast. His goal was to develop a machine that would perform safely and satisfactorily year round in the varied terrain and weather conditions of central New England.
The major markets for the Brontosaurus Mowers continue to grow and expand for owners and end users, to include:
- Electric Utilities – Transmission and distribution ROW’s
- Oil and gas pipe lines installation and maintenance
- Public Works and DOT vegetation management
- Forestry applications. Selective thinning of parks and woodlands, pre-harvest thinning, post-harvest slash reduction, plantation and nursery maintenance
- Railroad vegetation control from both “on” and “off” track
- Fish and wildlife habitat maintenance and diversification
- Wetlands mitigation
- Ski area maintenance
- US DOD Military bases, vegetation management for Army, Air Force, and Naval bases
- Commercial and residential development clearing, including selective thinning and clearing of building lots and roadways
In all the listed applications, the Bronto is hard to beat for its ability to work safely and productively in about any terrain, during all seasons, under wet or dry, hot or cold conditions, leaving a remarkably clean and neat work site with no stumps and stubble, and a finished product which is a uniformly sized biodegradable mulch. The use of carriers with worldwide recognition, and access to sales, parts and service is another reason for the Bronto’s success.
With John’s sons, Michael and Charles at the helm since 2002, John Brown & Sons continues to grow and innovate the industry. Michael’s son Carter has been with the company since 1999 and is a third generation Brown looking to continue the legacy that John began over 50 years ago.