Mortons Power Equipment
Mortons Garage was founded in 1943 by William W. (Bill) Morton, a former shop foreman for A.W. Mitchell Company. This first repair center was located at Spotsylvania Courthouse in the back of Scott Perrys Store (the current Chewnings Grocery)
Mortons Garage was founded in 1943 by William W. (Bill) Morton, a former shop foreman for A.W. Mitchell Company. This first repair center was located at Spotsylvania Courthouse in the back of Scott Perrys Store (the current Chewnings Grocery).
In the beginning, the primary tasks were repairing school buses, saw mill diesal units, and tractors used for logging. In the early 1950s, Mortons introduced the chain saw to the Fredericksburg area. They sold and repaired the Pioneer Chainsaw as well as IEL saws from Vancouver, Canada. During this time, Bill Morton was invovled with some engineering changes to the early Stihl saws. He helped determine ways to eliminate vapor locking on the 06 model and provided input for the development of the automatic oiler system. Additionally, Andreas Stihl, founder of Stihl, was a visitor to the store with his son Peter, the current owner of this German company.
In the early 1960s, lawnmowers and Yamaha motorcycles were added to the Mortons product line. About five years later, Morton erected a new 2,400 square foot building and Mortons relocated to the intersection of Courthouse Road and Smith Station Road. In 1970, Bill decided to replace Yamaha with BMW motorcycles, a more exclusive and exciting product to sell and service.
In March of 1979, Bill and his wife Marguerite, who was the company bookkeeper from its beginning, decided to retire. They sold the business to their nephews and current owners, Bob and Jeff Massey. Morton-Massey, Inc. was formed.
Mortons expanded its physical location in October of 1996 when adjacent property and existing buildings were purchased and renovated. Motorcycle operations moved into the newly renovated facility. Mortons total building square footage was now over 7,200.
Eight years later, Bob and Jeff decided to relocate both the outdoor power equipment and motorcycle operations to the newly renovated Four-Mile-Fork Shopping Center. This new state of the art facility provided over 40,000 square feet of space for Mortons Power Equipment and Mortons BMW. This new Corporate ID facility provides the necessary space to meet the needs of the expanding outdoor power products marketplace. Mortons Power Equipment now continues to offer sales and service of a wide range of products, including a full line of Stihl products, Toro Lawn Equipment, Scag Commercial Mowers, Pramac generators, Trailers, and more.