The Reekie Group is one of the longest established machinery companies in Scotland, spanning three generations. The company was started by Gavin Reekie in 1947 and was at the forefront of the great post-war revolution in farm mechanisation. Indeed the company’s original name Farmec, perfectly reflects the period when tractors became the power of the land. Even today some of the older farmer’s still refer to it as the ‘Mec’. Mr Gavin Reekie was born and brought up on a farm beside Glamis and named after the estate factor at the time , the legendary Gavin Ralston.
- Business Type:
- Industry Type:
- Market Focus:
- Nationally (across the country)
On facing demob from the army Mr Reekie was having a drink with a fellow officer one evening and started to speak about what they would do now the war was over. Mr Reekie intimated he would like to go into agricultural engineering because the prospects were good and the fellow Officer suggested he speak to a chap he knew called Harry Ferguson who was building tractors.
Following a meeting with Mr Ferguson he offered Mr Reekie the franchise for his tractor and implements for the whole of Scotland. A depot was opened in Ladybank.
From the 1950’s onwards the company expanded moving to Cupar and Stirling, becoming involved in heavy plant, excavators and cars. At one stage the company employed over 200 people. Today the company employs 60 people with an annual turnover of around £13 million.
Massey Ferguson Fendt Honda Merlo Doosan Agricultural And Forklift Dealers
- We are family company with a heritage stretching back 65 years
- Our Agricultural area stretches East to West from Fife to Stirling
- We supply forklifts to industries across the Central Belt, the East Coast and Borders of Scotland
- We aim to be a respected and valued Business Partner
- We will provide knowledgeable informed support
- We are responsible for leading agricultural and forklift brands